Driverless car tests in uk

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Driverless car tests in uk

Post by Guest55 »

I don't see the 'loneliness and isolation'; perhaps it's the difference of living in a village? There are a lot of activities throughout the week and people willing to transport people.

There are some pluses to social media, for example, missing pets located, alerts re local road closures, sheep loose on a road, etc. I think some of us would also count this forum :lol:

Back on topic, I understand that they are already trialling driverless cars in Milton Keynes.
Last edited by Guest55 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:I don't see the 'loneliness and isolation'; perhaps it's the difference of living in a village? There are a lot of activities throughout the week and people willing to transport people.

There are some pluses to social media, for example, missing pets located, alerts re local road closures, sheep loose on a road, etc. I think some of us would alos count this forum :lol:

Back on topic, I understand that they are already trialling driverless cars in Milton Keynes.
The manufacturers of Pringles have benefitted to some extent from this forum I would think --- as have hopefully many children.

That is interesting about Milton Keynes - I thought that the current regulations would not permit this and that is one of the reasons why the Law Commission project is taking place.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Here, reported in the press: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... pathfinder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These pedestrian areas link different parts of MK.
Amber

Post by Amber »

If you didn't have to have your hands on the wheel you could eat Pringles while you were going along.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:I don't see the 'loneliness and isolation'.
That is exactly the issue! You can't see it. But statistic after statistic suggests that it is highly prevalent and rising.

https://www.campaigntoendloneliness.org ... -research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42708507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with other links in the article)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Amber wrote:If you didn't have to have your hands on the wheel you could eat Pringles while you were going along.
:lol:

I need to read more aabout this to be convinced of the advantages. When an elderly parent of mine was alive, post-stroke, it would have been great if there was some kind of very easy to use mobility scooter they could have used as grasping how to use current models was, sadly, beyond them fully grasping mentally as was returning to driving. But I can't quite grasp how the driverless car would have helped.

Whereas, a helpful, real life taxi-driver was a godsend in ensuring they could still get to certain activities based outside the home without needing a helper with them.

And what is the point of driverless cars which can go at 15mph through a pedestrian precinct? What's that for? Can they go round the store too and pick up stuff for you? TBH, I'm happier with the idea of an Amazon drone sweeping my hat off as I walk out of the driveway than I am with being tripped up by a driverless car. At least if a car with a driver hits me, there's a chance that the person that gets out to help will be reasonably competent both mentally and physically.
Last edited by mystery on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:If you didn't have to have your hands on the wheel you could eat Pringles while you were going along.
You could I suppose, if eating Pringles is your thing. Alternatively you might choose to read a novel, do a crossword puzzle, watch the news, catch up on your emails, even post on the 11plus forum :wink: .Personally I've never found crawling through traffic staring at the car in front a particularly rewarding or stimulating activity, mentally or physically.

This article lists ways in which driverless cars might change the way we live.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the whole it generally sounds positive to me. Safer roads, less pollution and congestion, easier parking etc. The main downside from what I can see is the impact it will have on people who drive for a job, and that will need to be handled.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote: That is exactly the issue! You can't see it. But statistic after statistic suggests that it is highly prevalent and rising.

https://www.campaigntoendloneliness.org ... -research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42708507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (with other links in the article)
Yes, but in a village I don't think it is there - people are looked after and if someone isn't seen, it is followed up.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you -- will go and read it when I've stocked up on Pringles.
piggys

Post by piggys »

The day I get into a driverless car is the day I cut my own head off. What is this obsession with replacing every single human activity and endeavour with a machine? seriously, what is the point? what is wrong with the concept of DOING THINGS YOURSELF? legit?

No wonder there is an epidemic of obesity in this country amongst our children. :shock: And no wonder - in my line of work - I hear more and more dc saying they can't read books because they are 'too boring'. What they actually mean is they are incapable of sustaining their attention for longer than a few seconds because they are glued to screens which are destroying their ability to think for themselves. How sad.

There is a section early on in Orwell's 'Wigan Pier' where he warns against the dangers of over technologising society and, as usual, all of his predictions have either come true already or are just about to.

Perhaps in the near future we won't even be required to have sex in order to procreate - maybe we could push a few buttons on a machine and bypass the whole human experience? now there's something to aim for. Mums and dads would be a thing of the past. "Machine, you are my mother now". (thank you I.C.Smith).

Harrump. As you were.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now