Driverless car tests in uk

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sportsforall

Re: Driverless car tests in uk

Post by sportsforall »

piggys wrote: Perhaps in the near future we won't even be required to have sex in order to procreate - maybe we could push a few buttons on a machine and bypass the whole human experience? now there's something to aim for. Mums and dads would be a thing of the past. "Machine, you are my mother now". (thank you I.C.Smith).

Harrump. As you were.
Brave New World :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

What even are Pringles?

And I like your post Piggys. I don't mind the sex part (occasionally :wink: ) but if they could automate the giving birth part, and particularly the immediate postpartum messy part, I can see a potential market. Then again, like the pharmaceutical industry and its obsession with female ******** dysfunction as opposed to malaria or T1 diabetes, I sense that the automation is going to privilege certain sectors of society over others. If you have ever read Melanie Read (tetraplegic) whose life is ground down by infections caused by an indwelling catheter, you might ask whether the money spent on perfecting driverless cars might be better spent elsewhere frankly. And that is before we even look at the wider world view.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Zager and Evans wrote: In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do, and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesyhQkYrQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:What even are Pringles?
Potato and wheat-based tessellating crisps in the shape of a hyperbolic paraboloid.

Bet you're glad you asked now? Actually, the last bit would make a good forum username for the Appeals section.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Surferfish wrote:
Zager and Evans wrote: In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do, and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

Then in the year 6575
The time for schooling will arrive
You'll appear in Bucks, you'll be a winner
And ask "Is there a teleport from Pinner?"
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

:lol:
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Anotherdad wrote:
Surferfish wrote:
Then in the year 6575
The time for schooling will arrive
You'll appear in Bucks, you'll be a winner
And ask "Is there a teleport from Pinner?"
[/quote]

And this is where the "self- flying air taxi lifts off in New Zealand" (BBC News (Technology)13 March) comes into its own.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Can’t wait for this particularly on behalf of my mum. She lives in a city in the Midwest USA, where the public transport system has been deliberately destroyed by the powers of the car industry. Now she can no longer see well enough to drive if it is dark, and when it frequently snows, so despite being otherwise healthy with interests and ample spending money, she often goes for days on end stuck in the house. She has given up going to concerts, as they are all at night, can’t get to an evening class to help her use her gadgets, and has missed many social engagements since my dad who could still drive better, passed away. Taxis were very rare and exorbitant until recently and to her credit she has learnt and in extremis used an Uber, but calling a stranger to drive her just isn’t something she will do routinely.

I think many many people in the world live where public transport is non-existent or unusable for them, and many as they age will benefit from this and from other types of routine help provided by machines, when relatives and friends aren’t available. Plus, they would be able to be economically active which will help society.

As for the safety record, so far it sounds to me like the validation and the human “drivers” installed during the critical testing phase have been below-par and even if I am being unfair, how many accidents there are per mile driven versus the current set up - of a free-for all?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Wouldn't it just be better to invest in better public transport? That way elderly people who are stuck at home like your mother (and mine, to an extent) would be provided for and also have the opportunity for a little human interaction. It would also be more environmentally friendly and create jobs. To me driverless cars are a vision of **** apart from for a small group of severely disabled people.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

It probably would have been better to have the public transport investment, yes, but I can see driverless cars as a part of that. Schemes could work like boris bikes or car share services. The set-up costs would be less than the infrastructure costs of rail or bus services though they might need electrical charging points. They would easily grow organically, as required. You wouldn't need everybody to have their own car - they would just book one as needed. I see a parallel to the spread of mobile phones in developing countries - it is faster and cheaper to set up mobile technology than to invest in a wired/fibre telecommunications network.

I'm sure I read a news item a while back where the US county service found it more cost effective to pay for uber/lyft/other(?) than to lay on a bus service.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now