Proof of age

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Proof of age

Post by mystery »

Yes, that's a good idea or get a colour photocopy of the passport witnessed at a solicitor's office so it's a legal copy.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:we got DD a provisional driving license for this purpose. Can be got when 15 yrs and 9 months I think
Didn’t know that and she is just about 15y 9m. Thanks, I’ll have a look.
From YouGov website
You can take your theory test once your provisional licence becomes valid. Normally, for car drivers, the earliest date your provisional licence can become valid is your 17th birthday. However you can apply for the licence up to two months before your 17th birthday.
Not sure where 15 years 9 months comes from?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s on here.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

i gave the link in my previous post.
tiffinboys wrote:Thanks, Reading mum. That would solve quite a problem. I thought PL can be had from 17 years only. Time has changed.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
17 years is when a person is eligible to take driving lessons, unless eligible under various rules for disability and enhanced PIP payments.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Shame to spend money though when the child can't use the thing. We have never needed this - DS1 had a British Cycling card and my current 16 year-old has never been challenged when getting child fares despite being well over 6 foot. DD has always looked young for her age but that has not caused any issues either. There is a big market in fake ID to get into clubs in Y13 when half the year are 18 and the other half aren't. I feel sad for those young in the year who suffer for this. A photo of a passport would surely do in most scenarios. Once they are 16 they need a YP railcard anyway.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

You can get a UK ID card for 12 - 15 year olds.

It costs £15, but cheaper than a provisional drivers license.

https://validateuk.co.uk/official-UK-ID-Card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Surferfish wrote:You can get a UK ID card for 12 - 15 year olds.

It costs £15, but cheaper than a provisional drivers license.

https://validateuk.co.uk/official-UK-ID-Card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes I’d seen those already. However I don’t know anyone with one.

There’s various options but what would be useful is how well any of these work in practice when required. I’m happy for her to continue with her old, in date but now cancelled passport (I think that’s as likely to be accepted as a photocopy or picture on a phone).

If your DCs have been challenged about age what has and hasn’t been accepted/recognised. Not all DCs get challenged but DD does seem to be more often.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Dd is nearly 16 but her bf who is already 16 tried to buy a well known 'energy' drink from Morrisons recently. He had taken a screen shot of his passport as proof of age as the law now states you have to be 16 to buy these drinks, but the cashier was having none of it! I was surprised he was asked as he looks at least 18 but I guess the school uniform gave it away :lol:

Have to say I've never heard of the 12-15 years ID card.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now