Proof of age

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Proof of age

Post by Tinkers »

I’m asking because DD has been questioned about her a few times recently.

She is still 15, but often when not in school uniform gets asked on the bus. Reading charge the reduced rate for everyone under 19, without the need for a bus pass (which would help tremendously if they did). When she starts sixth form in September, she won’t be in school uniform anymore and she is likely to get asked more.

She has taken to carrying her old, now cancelled passport, (though technically still in date,we just had to renew earlier due to upcoming trip needing at least 6 months left which it wouldn’t have had). Neither DD or myself want her to carry her current passport ‘just in case’, due to the risk and hassle if she lost it.

DD is going to London today with friends, so this got me thinking. A recent case of the 15yo DD of the CEO of Timpsons getting stranded at Paddington station, because she, quite rightly, had a child ticket but the ticket inspector didn’t believe her. As a 15yo she had no ID to prove otherwise, and no money to do much about it. (As a precaution DD is taking the old passport, birth certificate and her Zip Oyster card. She doesn’t want to leave any room for doubt if she gets asked.

Looking around, there are several options (there’s a ‘proof of age’ card, possibly a student card, but she can’t get that until she is 16 in July), so I was wondering if anyone had had experience with any of these, and if they were widely accepted and recognised.

It isn’t because she wears stacks of make up either, she doesn’t wear any. She just has one of those faces and carries herself in such a way that she obviously looks older than she is. She’s had people ask her if she at university...
Reading Mum

Re: Proof of age

Post by Reading Mum »

we got DD a provisional driving license for this purpose. Can be got when 15 yrs and 9 months I think
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:we got DD a provisional driving license for this purpose. Can be got when 15 yrs and 9 months I think
Didn’t know that and she is just about 15y 9m. Thanks, I’ll have a look.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, Reading mum. That would solve quite a problem. I thought PL can be had from 17 years only. Time has changed.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think it has come about because you can learn to drive at 16 if you have certain disabilities.

Much safer than carrying a passport every time they go to movies or take public transport.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

tiffinboys wrote:Thanks, Reading mum. That would solve quite a problem. I thought PL can be had from 17 years only. Time has changed.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it does seem as though it will. I was concerned about how well recognised the validateuk card is, but everyone should know what a driving licence looks likes and she will need to get one at some point anyway. I’ll tell her once she is back and see if she wants to apply for one.

For those with children that look older (or indeed younger) than they are, this might help.
https://www.validateuk.co.uk/official-UK-ID-Card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you know anyone withone, I’d still be interested in how well received they are when required.
solimum

Post by solimum »

As long as they don't assume that a driving license means she is OVER 17 and therefore still not eligible for child fares (can see the inspectors/shop staff struggling with the calculation of age from DOB)

of course soon she (or her friends) will be wanting ID to get into over 18 venues.....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Bus passes do help although it's frustrating to have to pay for them.
On ds's 2nd day of year 7 he was refused permission to get on the bus after school without paying the full fare (which he didn't have on him). The rule then was that you only needed a bus pass from age 15.
Fortunately for him he had an older sister who, when the driver refused to believe her assurances that he was 11, got off the bus with him (she also didn't have enough cash) and walked home with him. Otherwise I think it would have been very upsetting for him.
From then on he always carried his zip Oyster card and extra cash just in case!
This year the bus company has said everyone has to have a bus pass which has made things a bit more straightforward...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I sort of wish Reading did require bus passes, as that would make it much easier, but they don’t. (Though it’s something else to possibly loose). There is not even an option for one. She has never had an issue going to school (apart from non uniform days) though she makes a point of undoing her coat these days so they can see her School jumper.

Since for Reading buses at least she can have reduced fare until 19 it doesn’t matter if they think she is over 17. If anyone else has issues, then at least she can tell them to do the sums.

She has a Zip Oyster card, so has taken that with her today. In London at least they should know what that is. The rest of the country maybe not.

We have had strange looks elsewhere when asking for entrance to places for two adults and a child, they look at her with that ‘oh really?’ look.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Take a photo of the passport with her phone..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now