Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: Online debit card fraud

Post by Reading Mum »

They aren't allowed to any more
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Agreed, they can't do that now. My Paypal account was fraudulently used by Superdry a few years ago. I'm not sure if the Superdry account was compromised or Paypal! (Teenage boys have moved on from Superdry now!).
I'm currently arguing with Adobe over a contract one of my sons seems to have signed up for accidentally...
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... liable-for" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks helpful ... but I'd find it a better read if they defined "money was stolen from your bank account" ... "stolen from your credit card" ... "identity theft" and "identity scam" as they all seem to have slightly different meanings and possible outcomes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also, spoke to the bank again today to try to understand a bit more what I was briefly told yesterday.

I thought they were saying yesterday that they never follow up fraudulent payments to Amazon. I was not correct in thinking this. What they were trying to explain was that if the fraudulent payments were to suppliers I had used online in the past (such as Amazon), then it was up to me to chase the refund from the supplier (but they would help if I was unsuccessful). Whereas because I have never shopped with the two retailers that the fraudsters placed orders with, the bank itself will put the money back into my account on the day that the payments go out.

She said that to make a fraudulent purchase online, all that the fraudster needs is the long number off the debit card, the three digit security code and my name. Address not needed.

They said that this info could have been obtained, amongst other possibilities, from the black strip on my card through a skimming device or from me shopping from an insecure site -- look out for the padlock in the search bar for a secure site.