Whatsapp to become over 16's only

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Whatsapp to become over 16's only

Post by loobylou »

Amber wrote: To my annoyance my family won't use it for a group chat and we use iMessage instead which is much more clunky than WA.
We are not an apple family so WA is our only option!
Amber wrote:I would prefer to see the back of things like snapchat and instagram which seem to send endless notifications to my sons and encourage the selfie culture as well.
Me too though again Instagram works really well for seeing photos of our little great nieces/nephews around the world. But I am delighted that my children refuse to post anything on there.
kenyancowgirl wrote:We use WhatsApp, and will continue to - if you want to call me an indulgent parent, then so be it, DG.....in our opinion it is a very good way of sharing videos with family of our boys playing sport etc, where no-one else can see - it is also used having fully researched the other options - sometimes knowing and understanding about something takes the fear out of it. We keep in touch with far flung family in a much safer way than other social media apps - and actually, arguably than some emails
Yes, ds plays an unusual sport that's very fun to watch and it's great to send videos of it to family but we could never put it on any other medium just because the videos inevitably have other people in them (albeit unrecognisable most of the time).
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Aaargh! I use it with the football team that I coach, it makes communications so much easier. I can post addresses for fixtures, documents for session plans all in a restricted group.
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:We are not an apple family so WA is our only option!
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I had no idea. Sympathies. :wink: :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
loobylou wrote:We are not an apple family so WA is our only option!
Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I had no idea. Sympathies. :wink: :)
Naughty Amber. Android family here so WhatsApp vital!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:Naughty Amber.
Theme of the day.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Daogroupie wrote:But I wonder how many indulgent parents will still let their dc's have it just like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Reddit, Tumbir, Googlle+ and Pinterest are all 13 and over but parents fall for the "everyone else is using it so I have to" line from their dcs and still let them use these apps in primary school as well as Y7. DG
Quite a mix of apps there DG. Some more 'damaging' than others. I'd say Whatsapp is the least of our problems. As a family, we find it quite useful.

The legislators should be looking at Facebook and Snapchat. I remember hearing that Zuckerberg was looking to remove the age limit (currently 13 y/o) on Facebook!

FAO Amber - Two words, 'battery life'. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedPanda wrote:FAO Amber - Two words, 'battery life'.
And two back:
Design.
Compatibility.*

* all our computers are Mac and it is so seamless and pretty.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And intuitive! We also worship at the Jobs altar....!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

sportsforall wrote:Aaargh! I use it with the football team that I coach, it makes communications so much easier. I can post addresses for fixtures, documents for session plans all in a restricted group.
My DD's hockey club use an app called Teamer for this
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:And intuitive!
Yes!
Reading Mum wrote:My DD's hockey club use an app called Teamer for this
That sounds like something else entirely (by analogy with certain dating apps, shall we say?). :shock: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now