BBC Horizon Multiverses

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

BBC Horizon Multiverses

Post by quasimodo »

http://entertainment.ie/tv-highlight/Ho ... 369666.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I watched the recorded programme yesterday and I can't get my head round the three different scientific viewpoints from the programmes as to how our universe is not alone and we are coexisting with multiple other universes at the same time.The form these take is a matter of scientific debate and to provide the evidence in confirmation being the hardest issue considering they exist outside our universe.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... iverse.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8BDkSO6UU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Re: BBC Horizon Multiverses

Post by Catseye »

My son and I watched this together on your recommendation , and this is more his opinion than mine because I understand little of these matters.

It seems theoretical physicists are vying with each other to come up with the most outlandish theories they can think off,not so much a theory of everything but more a theory of just about anything.

The problem lies with the axioms on which the maths is based, even in the best model we have ,The Standard Model ,there are significant fudges in the maths to avoid infinities, but it seems to work as a very accurate description of Nature at the subatomic level(accurately predicting the Higgs Boson)-despite these mathematical shenanigans .

It not so much that "nature abhors a vacuum" but more a case of nature abhors infinities. When any theory starts to generate infinities , absurdity follows absurdities , these infinities starts to generate more and more infinities which cannot be contained even with the most sophisticated Set Theories, this contagion spreads like a virus corrupting not only common sense but reality itself!
We need to go back to experimental verifiable theories that are consistent with known facts and maths, otherwise we are reduced to metaphysics.

In fact my son's view is that even given that these theories are mathematically self-consistent it does not follow they the correct description of Nature, one should hear load the warning bells when the maths is generating endless infinities, the truth is more than what is possible but also what is most probable.

My person view is (using occam's razor) is a self created God is just as good explanation than these theories of anything.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It struck me as being a load of cobblers. Most of it appeared to be philosophy rather than physics but the people spouting the nonsense appeared to be physicists rather than philosophers, i.e. unqualified. Might as well get a load of philosophers on to harp on about particle physics or cosmology imho. Very poor, and very disappointing compared to the really excellent Horizon about mesolithic Britain.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Interesting news article on multiverses from Pallab Ghosh today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43976977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Hello QM,

Long time no speak ............as they would say in Willenhall. Hope you keeping well, my old friend..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now