Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 pm
Posts: 54
Location: London
Can you help?

I have a friend who is moving next month to Penang island in Malaysia. She is moving with her two children aged 8 & 2. She has had a great opportunity there and in a year or two aim to return back to England.

She is looking to educate her children while in Malaysia. The options she is looking for them are home school with a few tutors or join a home school organisation.

Can you help in anyway?

Do you know any English expat forums, Facebook groups or websites in Malaysia?
Do you know any English schools?
Do you know any organisations or companies that offer good English tutors?
Do you know about where to go to hire good tutors?
Do you know any good home schooling networks?

All information & weblinks are very much welcome.

_________________
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 8058
Why look for English schools and tutors? At those ages both would become easily bilingual and the experience of being educated locally would bring massive and lasting personal and cultural benefits which would help to shape their lives long after they return to England.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10501
Location: Essex
A quick internet search on 'british community penang' turned up several sites, including a Facebook group.

There seem to be several English medium international schools (which may or may not be very convenient for where your friend will be living) - not necessarily a huge amount of mixing with the locals, but better than home ed for general socialisation? Has your friend investigated as to whether home education is actually an option under the Malaysian system?

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 3030
Usually if re locating for work the employer would help with contacts?

My impression from Malaysian students who have come to study in the UK is that many in that sphere have more of an 'international' than a 'local' education themselves.

I would definitely verge towards looking at 'education' in the broadest sense and making the most of the opportunity of experiencing life in another culture.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 2405
If you would rather educate at home but want a school set up then try Interhigh. Very popular for ex pats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 pm
Posts: 54
Location: London
Yamin151 wrote:
If you would rather educate at home but want a school set up then try Interhigh. Very popular for ex pats.


Thanks KB & Yamin151.

I’ve heard of http://Www.interhigh.co.uk/ so I will recomment them to her.

_________________
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 3832
OrganicGreen wrote:
Can you help?

I have a friend who is moving next month to Penang island in Malaysia. She is moving with her two children aged 8 & 2. She has had a great opportunity there and in a year or two aim to return back to England.

She is looking to educate her children while in Malaysia. The options she is looking for them are home school with a few tutors or join a home school organisation.

Can you help in anyway?

Do you know any English expat forums, Facebook groups or websites in Malaysia?
Do you know any English schools?
Do you know any organisations or companies that offer good English tutors?
Do you know about where to go to hire good tutors?
Do you know any good home schooling networks?

All information & weblinks are very much welcome.


Amber wrote:
Why look for English schools and tutors? At those ages both would become easily bilingual and the experience of being educated locally would bring massive and lasting personal and cultural benefits which would help to shape their lives long after they return to England.


What a wonderful opportunity.My family have lovely memories of Penang and our trips to visit my friends and in terms of sites of in particular Batu Ferringhi beach and the spectacular views from the top of the Island.The island has a large Chinese influence compared to the rest of the country.

My younger cousins family with her husband and young children were out in Singapore for several years and came back to the UK speaking fluent Mandarin and understanding many words from other languages in the area.Their maid played a part in their learning some language skills.The children were educated in a International school while there.Apart from the cultural benefits they gained,It has set them up with some unique skills in a world set to be increasingly influenced by China.I couldn't more agree with Amber.

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 6735
I have to agree with Amber and quasi....as someone who was educated in another country up to the age of 8, it is an amazing way of learning a language and really knowing about another culture - it seems a real shame to not take advantage of fully assimilating that opportunity by going down the home education route. We had lots of Malaysian and Singapore educated children at my boarding school - both nationals of the countries and ex pats returning to the UK. I can confidently say that they were well educated - the standard in international schools there in particular is very high.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 16253
+ 1

I have friends who have just come back from two years abroad. Their children went to the local Primary which taught in Spanish - they are now both bilingual.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 pm
Posts: 54
Location: London
Thank you everyone for your posts. My friend is very busy packing and planning for her new position and sorting out the kids.

_________________
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021