Summer courses for young people into computing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Summer courses for young people into computing

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I speak to quite a lot of Admissions tutors for various courses and without exception I’m afraid that NONE of them pay any attention to World Challenge or DoE below Gold. Sadly World Challenge (with all due respect to TM who I know is an exception) is too often the preserve of the wealthy, with parents mainly funding it and just a nod to actual fundraising. DoE bronze is purely a tick box exercise for most schools and very little effort for the kids - with far too many ways to cop out of the real stuff yet still get it signed off - ditto Silver (although slightly less so). So few do Gold it is the only one with any real value.

Unis are far more interested in things the student has obviously arranged themselves, and real work....if they actually read the PS which, I am more and more convinced from knowledge, that less and less Admissions actually do!
MedievalBabe

Re: Summer courses for young people into computing

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS did the cyber first course last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. For him it was a week doing something he was interested in, he learnt lots about the law and computing and learnt some new skills. He applied this year but due to the dates couldn't do it locally so chose a residential one but got turned down as it was over subscribed for boys but this particular venue has spaces for girls. The courses are backed by the government and has input from various places including GCHQ.

The course may not look good on a CV but what is wrong with letting your DC have a week with like minded children learning about cyber security and computers and breaking up their summer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now