Tory party falling apart?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Tory party falling apart?

Post by stroudydad »

loobylou wrote:Hancock looks as though the only thing he'll bring to the Health Secretary role is the continuing ability to use rude puns about the surname.

In his role as Minister of State for Energy, he was criticised for hiring a private jet to fly back from a climate conference[19] and accepting money[20] from climate change denial organisation Global Warming Policy Foundation. In October 2014, he apologized after retweeting a poem suggesting that the Labour Party was "full of queers", describing his actions as a "total accident".

I think the best we can hope for probably is that he is less Teflon coated than his predecessor.
Bodes well for the future of the NHS then...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I wonder who will be elected as the new PM ? I can't see her surviving.The process to unseat her is under way and one of the letters for the election has already been published.There will have been others.She has lost the support of her activists and many who voted leave in the country.Exciting few months politically.The Conservatives couldn't go into the next election with Theresa May so a change was inevitable.Two of the vice chairs of the party have resigned as they cannot endorse the chequers policy to their constituents.

Below is a link to a Conservative Home article which has copies of the letters sent by them to the PM.

https://www.conservativehome.com/parlia ... orate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Reminds me of a certain Doctor Who episode in which the Doctor whispers to the PM’s aide, “Don’t you think she looks tired?”
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Its Friday the 13th I wonder if TM is superstitious ?

She has sent invitations to her MP's for tea this afternoon at Chequers in rushed invites.I wonder how many MP's who will have made plans to travel home to their constituencies will attend ? Some will have interesting weekends particularly in leave voting constituencies and may get a added flavour of what has been going on in the court of public opinion outside the Westminster bubble.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall observing what takes place at afternoon tea after President Trump being the diplomat he is flies off in his helicopter.

Fifty six years today was the "Night of the long Knifes".Thirteenth of July 1962 before I was born.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18722428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting to observe that one of the events which later placed Macmillan under pressure was De Gaulle's veto of the UK's application to the EEC. How times change.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The resignation of Ministers continue with a regularity over the Brexit issue.One yesterday who had taken over David Cameron's old constituency in Oxfordshire and was a junior minister in the foreign office and a further one today.Many from names unfamiliar to the general public.

https://brexitcentral.com/conservative- ... it-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

KS10 wrote:Reminds me of a certain Doctor Who episode in which the Doctor whispers to the PM’s aide, “Don’t you think she looks tired?”
http://commentcentral.co.uk/mays-resignation-looms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only one view, but the wind is blowing in that direction.It is the correct link but with the numbers logging on I think this is the reason it sometimes comes up with database error.Its an article by Peter Divey on comment central as of todays date.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

She won't resign. She couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks of her. The brazen arrogance of someone who believes themselves to be right, untroubled by the faint possibility that there is another way.

Hope I am wrong, but then who will we get instead?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Imagine how enticing the prospect of finally fulfilling her ambitions by becoming PM appeared just a couple of years ago :lol: . Is it just me or does the proposal to break for summer early just sound like a desperate wail of "Please, please just make it all stop!"?

It beggars belief that she's still there. Sending a minion off to negotiate with the EU behind the back of her own minister and introducing her own white paper while his department is supposed to be writing one? It's just utterly, utterly unbelievable. She surely can't have any credibility with (or loyalty from) the rest of the cabinet when she behaves like that.

Personally I relish the prospect of Jacob Rees-Mogg being elected leader of the party and consigning them to electoral oblivion for a generation. However I see the Remain wing of the party is yet again making hopeful merger-ish noises to the anti-Corbynistas of the PLP, this time under the guise of a government of "national unity". I would dearly love to hear exactly what national unity they think they could muster around this subject.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:Personally I relish the prospect of Jacob Rees-Mogg being elected leader of the party and consigning them to electoral oblivion for a generation
I worry that it wouldn't, though. Remember that 'the country' apparently chose Brexit. What is to say that the same people would not choose him, for all his 'traditional values' (anti-everything minorities and women have fought for for generations, basically) and 'back to the 1950s' persona? It could easily misfire. Many who voted Brexit did so out of some warped sense of 'Britain for the British' which almost instantly after the vote became a comfortable discourse for racist, homophobic, misogynist tendencies espoused by some who beforehand would have been marginalised as extremists. RM would comfortably lead a party supporting such unpalatable values.

We are stuffed imho - no effective opposition and a car crash of a government limping on in the face of unbelievable odds. Just as I cannot see how Trump is still president, I cannot see how May is still PM. Bad times.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I totally agree that I can't understand how May is still there. But I can't possibly imagine who else could take over. Literally anyone else is worse.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now