World Cup 2018

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Surferfish »

Reading Mum wrote:DD's school concert moved to earlier slot of 5pm so there will be virtually no audience :(
Surely part of the reason it was moved was so that there would be some audience? There certainly wouldn't be much of one if they held it at 7pm.
piggys

Post by piggys »

mike1880 wrote:
One can but hope. I like this team, they remind me of the team that got similarly close in Italia '90 (in spirit - I don't think they're anywhere close to them in ability). I didn't watch the last two World Cups because it was just too painful and embarrassing to watch the arrogant, entitled mediocrities we sent but I've seen quite a lot of this one.
I have a lucid memory of being in a crowded flat in Finsbury Park watching the semi final in Italia 90 gathered around the telly; what a wonderful and sad match that was. At half time I volunteered to nip round the corner to the offy (in the days when Off Licenses were still a thing) to get the beers in . At that exact same moment I saw masses of people from every house and flat in the vicinity running to the offy as well with ten minutes to get them in! :lol: the proprieter was laughing his head off - kerching!! And you can't beat New Order's Italia 90 anthem either, IMHO (and not just because I was proper in love with John Barnes :) )

I quite like this team as well and Southgate seems decent. Here's hoping.
Last edited by piggys on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I must declare (see what I did there?) an interest in cricket too. Much more civilised.

Football is just so noisy and shouty and there have to be few worse spectacles than grown men in replica football kit - all shiny and clingy/dangly in all the wrong places. And I don't get why people who live in London support Man United or Liverpool or something, it seems to be all about personalities or success or hype. But then I don't get the appeal of films, musicals or telly either so I am a lost cause.

I don't wish England ill, but I must admit to having hoped that Sweden would win the other day. I have a nice Swedish flag I could have hung out of my car windows. :wink:

Surferfish wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:DD's school concert moved to earlier slot of 5pm so there will be virtually no audience :(
Surely part of the reason it was moved was so that there would be some audience? There certainly wouldn't be much of one if they held it at 7pm.
DD's cricket training was moved too. Oh, the irony!
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote:At half time I volunteered to nip round the corner to the offy (in the days when Off Licenses were still a thing) to get the beers in . At that exact same moment I saw masses of people from every house and flat in the vicinity running to the offy as well with ten minutes to get them in! :
That takes me back to my second teaching post, a mixed Reception/Y1 class back in the late 1980s when everything was supposed to be project-based. My project at the time was 'liquids' and we had a 'home corner' in the classroom. I asked the children what a good theme for the home corner would be, that would link with liquids, thinking about water play, or an aquarium, and one little chap piped up 'an off licence'. I still smile at the idea of having 4 and 5 year olds buying and selling spirits and mixers, especially as the demographic of the school included a particular fundamentalist community who eschewed alcohol.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Surferfish wrote:
If they had told people sooner - maybe. As it is, with 2 days notice, I suspect it will be pretty quiet. At least this way the girls can watch the match if they want to.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not much of a football fan, more of a rugby girl, but the men in my life are and their enthusiasm has been catching. We've been watching the England matches with our oldest group of friends and all of our kids have been with us too, it's been great.

I rather like this team and Gareth Southgate lets just hope they can deliver.

Anyway must go, got a match to get to :)

"It's coming home........."
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm with Reading Mum, I have zero interest, other than a feeling that it would be quite nice if we won. I am on DS2 collecting duty and then planning a walk with DD.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Football is the opium of the masses.

At 7.00 pm I shall have to resist the temptation to wreak Moderator havoc on this thread.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Do it Sally-Anne. Havoc is more fun than football. We can all be mods for a day!

Amber
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Too busy watching TENNIS, I'm afraid, Amber!

It's the delete button or bust ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now