World Cup 2018

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by scary mum »

Ah, yes, tennis. I'm with you Sally-Anne. Unfortunately DH has charge of the remote control this evening.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:Too busy watching TENNIS, I'm afraid, Amber!

It's the delete button or bust ...
I used to like it in the days of Bjorn Borg...but now all those oversized egos and sweaty interviews the second they step off the court (and that is just the mothers) make it all too much. Plus one too many encounters with 'tennis families' (sorry, any nice tennis families out there) who ruthlessly push their kids to be the next Wimbledon hopeful when they are barely out of nappies ('he loves it, honest').

Bit like the 11+...!
copella

Post by copella »

As a footie fan. I am absolutely loving this world cup with the big names out early. It is.all very exciting. Struggling with the extra time tonight. England never make it look easy.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Well now that's over webcam talk about some real sportsmen and women in the tennis
doodles

Post by doodles »

Or the cyclists in France perhaps, that's what I will be glued to now.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

doodles wrote:Or the cyclists in France perhaps, that's what I will be glued to now.
At least Chris Froome has been cleared of the doping allegations and allowed to race not withstanding all the boo's.

If is such a big word,if only Harry Kane had laid the ball on for Raheem Sterling rather than shoot when England were 1 - 0 up in the first half when they were on top .They would have gone 2 - 0 up it could have been a different story. In the end we lost to the better team with the better players.Little Croatia with a population of 4 million getting to their first World Cup final and if they win that would be a fairy story.

The England team have given me so much pleasure in the last 3 and a half weeks I am just sorry its ended.The losers match is not something you look forward to after losing a semi final.I am so proud of them once again after recent tournaments.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not much into football, as most of you know, but watched this as 2 of the men in our household do - I think this young England team did extremely well and, more importantly, were such fantastic ambasssadors for the sport, on and off the pitch....no overt diving/rolling around/nasty tackles, articulate interviews, a clear focus of country above all individuals, and a sensible manager. Dare I say it, footballers who seemed to emulate their 1966 counterparts rather than the modrn day equivalent?

Long may this new England type reign - if they could permeate into all British football teams, and beyond, I think more people like me might watch more!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Right - that's it back to no sport again ... well maybe a touch of cricket :lol: :lol:

Sort of a relief really as was trying to work out when to dash off to work on Sunday, have to be there at 6pm... so just as the celebrating / commiserating was going on? half way through extra time?? reckoned I would go early and watch the TV there and wait for the post-match flood of calls from 111 :roll: Normal service resumed.
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm not much into football, as most of you know, but watched this as 2 of the men in our household do - I think this young England team did extremely well and, more importantly, were such fantastic ambasssadors for the sport, on and off the pitch....no overt diving/rolling around/nasty tackles, articulate interviews, a clear focus of country above all individuals, and a sensible manager. Dare I say it, footballers who seemed to emulate their 1966 counterparts rather than the modrn day equivalent?

Long may this new England type reign - if they could permeate into all British football teams, and beyond, I think more people like me might watch more!
Sure; but as my older son said, why should they be particularly praised for this? Is this not what we would expect from a team chosen to represent their country at the highest level? It ought to be taken for granted that they behave well and are good ambassadors,rather than being noteworthy: and the only reason it is noteworthy is that there is little precedent for it in recent years.

I bet the chap who agreed for some unfathomable reason to refund everyone who bought a telly off him if England won is relieved.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Of course we should expect it...in the same way we should have expected it of previous teams - and of those Premier League players who are "role models" for so many youngsters - but we didn't get it in the past - perhaps they are being praised for it because they actually WERE role models - they broke the mold that we have generally learned to accept....Change will not happen unless someone changes. They did - maybe give them a little credit for that?!