Piano Grades..to skip or not to skip??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Piano Grades..to skip or not to skip??

Post by Guest55 »

Hera wrote:You are right grade 5 Jazz is another option. Personally I think Jazz Grade 5 is easier than Grade 5 theory. I don't really understand how it can replace theory, as although some understanding of chord structure is needed it really does not have the depth of musical knowledge needed for grade 5 theory..
It is good to mention it as most people have not heard of this option. I actually disagree with you - I took the grade 5 theory myself and my DS did the grade 5 jazz so we did compare. His composition benefited from doing the jazz and you have to answer some pretty tricky questions.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD didn't skip any early piano grades as it took her a while to get into her stride but she has skipped 7 to move to 8 so it didn't get in the way of GCSEs. For sax she has done 3, 5, 6 and will do 8 next year.

I'd certainly be looking for a different teacher - the right one can make such a difference
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

my very first thought was 'she needs a different teacher'...
But regarding grades, all of mine (on brass) skipped 1&2)started on 3, DS did d gr5 theory and then straight to grade 8. DD moved to trinity as she didn't want to do gr5 theory. Younger DSs haven't done any exams past grade 3 yet.
Drums(rockschool), DS 3 has done debut, 1 and getting ready for 2.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD hasn't skipped any grades. She's dragging her heels with grade 8 though. I don't think skipping would have suited her, but I do know of many who have, including a very talented young man (not DS!) who started with grade 5 and achieved a distinction at grade 8 a couple of years later.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Firstly I’d get a new teacher.
I think running through grade after grade can be a drag if it’s not enjoyed but it’s important that the scales etc are learnt.
My DS got fed up with early grades.
He did 1,2 and 3.
Then stopped them for a while before going onto grade 8.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Sounds like individual progress is much more flexible than we’ve been led to believe! Thank you so much for all your comments.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Another vote here for judicious skipping - it's a matter of whether a particular set of pieces come together at the right time to fit the exam schedule, plus the added stress of polishing the "right" scales, vs the benefits of a sense of achievement, having to learn the aural and sightreading skills - and fitting everything in with the rest of life, school exams and (for woodwind instruments particularly) the dreaded braces!

Years ago I think I took piano grades 2,4,5,6,7 (failed due to lack of practice during a busy time in Lower 6th!) and then returned to take G8 20 years later while DS2 was taking G4!
Violin probably started at G3 and then I can't really remember (got to G8 by 6th form)
Theory only ever G5
DC have also skipped occasionally, although one teacher was keener on the whole "grade a year" routine than others.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A quiz for a bit of fun! :wink:

CAN YOU PUT THE INSTRUMENT IN ITS RIGHT PLACE IN THE ORCHESTRA?

https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/qui ... yout-quiz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Are you in need today that someone tells you that you are young? :D I am asking this because I have just learnt that some people think that I am in my late 20s!! :lol: :lol:

Have fun with this: :wink:
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/qui ... -your-age/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not great questions and thinks I am in my 20s! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now