Any new resources?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LottieJo

Any new resources?

Post by LottieJo »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me?

I've been homeschooling my two boys (primary and early secondary) for a while now. I was wondering if any home schoolers have come across any useful online resources for career advice aimed at a younger age? Without the support of school career advisors, we have been delving into the internet for inspiration. I find this website https://www.icould.com/ to be a good one and my eldest particularly likes the videos for a sort of overview on various jobs and the grades he might need to work towards. But we're looking for something a little bit more specific if possible. Maybe around veterinary care or other work to do with animals.

Thanks in advance
2childmum

Re: Any new resources?

Post by 2childmum »

I have this in my bookmarks folder but I don't think we have ever used it! But you could give it a try. From what I understand it is aimed at schools but individuals can register for it - https://www.startprofile.com/about-start/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I home educated my daughter for the lower secondary years, and then she went to school from year 10 and has just finished year 11. She has receive absolutely no careers advice whatsoever - not even to help think about sixth form options, and from what I hear from friends with children at other schools this is fairly common. The schools have to buy in careers advice and the careers person i spoke to recently said most schools don't.

Both my children have changed their minds about what they wanted to do careers wise - although DS was set on physics from age 14 (and is now at uni studying it) DD has thought about animal care, conservation, prosthetics, carpentry, joining the Navy, and is currently thinking about studying neuroscience - all in the last 3 years. I think getting an overview of the types of jobs out there is fine at this stage.
LottieJo

Re: Any new resources?

Post by LottieJo »

This is really useful thank you, I'll have a look at the website. Yes I think just having an overall view is fine too, just my eldest in particular has really started to focus on animal care in the last 6 months or so and I wanted to try and explore this a little more with him. I've no doubt things will change again!! haha
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now