Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Post by anotherdad »

The trouble is, we don’t have the devil you know. We have a devil who is unpredictable in just about everything but incompetence. I couldn’t confidently predict this government’s approach to major policy decisions at the moment. Neither could they!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I don't think we could predict any government's approach at the moment. Quite frankly I think we need Trump to sort this mess out (cue the onslaught for such a suggestion). Don't get me started on politics because I am definitely on the opposite side to all you regular (lovely, helpful, generous) people.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

:shock: Blimey.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Yep,I said it... he is strong (I am ignoring his faults)... he would sort out all this procrastination (for better or worse - who cares? It needs to end now). Ooh, let me annoy you more and say... if only Thatcher was still in charge :wink:
piggys

Post by piggys »

No he isn't strong. He is merely loud and arrogant. Can't you tell the difference? :o
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I will disagree (again expecting criticism). He takes a stance and sticks with it... if only we had a leader like that (and I thought May could do that so very disappointed in her)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Like the stance he took in Putin's presence and the completely opposite one he took when back home in the US just hours later? On one of the major international points of diplomacy he reversed his opinion on the flight home in the face of negative press coverage and to a point of view he didn't have the courage to express to Putin. That's not the stance of a strong leader. Putin ran rings around him. The man is not intellectually up to the job and has the thinnest skin of any Western democratic leader in decades. He is strong in front of a friendly audience but folds like a stack of cards when up against criticism.

Thatcher outstayed her welcome. My reading of history is that she had to implement a lot of painful but ultimately necessary policies to correct some of the follies of the previous governments. Whilst she was strong in many ways, she wasn't strong enough to accept when she was wrong or to listen to other views and that was her undoing. We can argue about good and bad leaders all we like but surely the ultimate test of a leader's tenure is whether the country is in a better or worse state than when they took over. On Thatcher I'm really not sure because although there's an argument that the country as a whole improved over her eleven years' tenure, the average improvement came as a result of greater division and imbalance of wealth and quality of life. I don't think that's what she intended.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

anotherdad wrote:He is strong in front of a friendly audience but folds like a stack of cards when up against criticism.
Surely that is a criticism you can throw at any person in the news nowadays? Welcome to the 21st century :roll: :lol: :shock:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Surely that is a criticism you can throw at any person in the news nowadays? Welcome to the 21st century :roll: :lol: :shock:
You're not wrong. Social media image has become the currency of those in power.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now