Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote: What I would have liked to have seen happen once the referendum result was announced was a cross-party coalition government for five years to simultaneously govern the country and carry out the complicated process of extricating us from the EU. Instead, we've got a Tory civil war playing out, where the prize is the leadership and direction of the political party but the stake at risk is the country's prospects for the next decade and beyond. That's scandalous from a party that prides itself as being the natural party of government and economic competence. They are a shower.
From the referendum to the disastrous General Election which followed it, this whole series of adventures and shenanigans has been for the sake of the Tory party and not the country. It is a source of huge disappointment that there is no credible opposition and that the Labour Party is at risk of disappearing into its own navel - this has to be the easiest government to oppose since the 1930s and yet there is no-one doing anything about it. I had heard rumblings that Vince Cable was trying to put something together but there is no official sign of it.

On food - Argentina isn't in Europe, so we can still get those tinned pies which look so appetising. Oh wait, no, we fell out with Argentina a while ago as well, didn't we?
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

Amber wrote:
anotherdad wrote: What I would have liked to have seen happen once the referendum result was announced was a cross-party coalition government for five years to simultaneously govern the country and carry out the complicated process of extricating us from the EU. Instead, we've got a Tory civil war playing out, where the prize is the leadership and direction of the political party but the stake at risk is the country's prospects for the next decade and beyond. That's scandalous from a party that prides itself as being the natural party of government and economic competence. They are a shower.
From the referendum to the disastrous General Election which followed it, this whole series of adventures and shenanigans has been for the sake of the Tory party and not the country. It is a source of huge disappointment that there is no credible opposition and that the Labour Party is at risk of disappearing into its own navel - this has to be the easiest government to oppose since the 1930s and yet there is no-one doing anything about it. I had heard rumblings that Vince Cable was trying to put something together but there is no official sign of it.

On food - Argentina isn't in Europe, so we can still get those tinned pies which look so appetising. Oh wait, no, we fell out with Argentina a while ago as well, didn't we?
Oh dear! It does sound like 17.4 million people were dragged to the polls just to sort out a Tory party dispute. Haven't these people heard of 'Relate'.

I too wish there had been a National Unity approach to a bold confident Brexit but that would have meant Corbyn following his anti EU instincts rather than trying to get elected. Did I hear somebody say he was doing it for the sake of the Labour Party and not the country?

If Vince is putting something together then perhaps it's a five a side team, though he may struggle for numbers with Jo Swinson being on maternity leave and Tim Farron being more at home on the Subbuteo green baize.

By the way I hear they make splendid Pies in Melton Mowbray. Never quite sure what's in those Argentinian tins? Don't they have a lot of horses over there?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Stimela wrote:By the way I hear they make splendid Pies in Melton Mowbray.
No good for preppers though as they are not tinned, just encrusted in gelatinous water pastry
mad?
doodles

Post by doodles »

No hope here, I have trouble keeping the fridge stocked for a week let alone any longer :oops: The thought of tinned potatoes is enough to make me stick my head above the parapet :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Those tinned pies.... I've never had one but clearly remember watching a tv comedy thing as a child where a woman came out with the line 'your a hitman for fray bentos' (I know nothing else about the program other than it had Keith Barron in, but that line has stuck with me ever since.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

mad? wrote:
No good for preppers though as they are not tinned, just encrusted in gelatinous water pastry
No longer gelatinous... no jelly in pork pies any more :( . Was that an EU directive??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
mad? wrote:
No longer gelatinous... no jelly in pork pies any more :( . Was that an EU directive??
They still seem to manage to sneak a small amount in down here :). I always assumed that its disappearance was more to do with the dwindling number of folk who actually like it than to any diktat from on high

Oh, and Fray Bentos pies are perfectly good standby food in our house and their S&K puds one of my fond childhood memories. Along with vanilla ice cream made up from powder and produced in very small quantities in our fridge's minute ice box. I still live in hope of finding it again some day (the ice cream powder, not the fridge :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

ToadMum wrote:Oh, and Fray Bentos pies are perfectly good standby food in our house and their S&K puds one of my fond childhood memories..
Their puff pastry can't be beaten in my opinion - I will definitely be stockpiling them when I see them on special offer :lol:

Glad you can still find jelly in your pork pies; you must shop in a more upmarket store than me... I thought the evil EU had banned it along with pork rind and chicken skin :wink:
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:Anyway all of these (very lovely) people had lived through or been born during WW2 and were sure that we would be fine as the British are used to rationing and it is in our spirit to survive through adversity. :D
They do say that British people were at their healthiest during WW2 rationing.

So could this be one of the few benefits of Brexit, that it helps solve the country's obesity problem? :D
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

On the bright side, judging by this morning's Today programme I'll soon be able to grow my own olives (at least for a brief spell before the planet turns into an uninhabitable inferno) so that's one less thing to worry about.