Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: Preppers - are they seriously mad?

Post by mad? »

anotherdad wrote:
mad? wrote:Actually, until last week, negotiations were led by Dominic Raab (leave) and prior to that, David Davis (leave). Also operating on our behalf on the world stage in they key roles during this period have been Dr Liam Fox (trace, leave) and Bojo (Foreign Sec and leave).
:lol: He doesn't have much presence, I'll give you that.
:lol: :lol: :oops:
mad?
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

mad? wrote:
Stimela wrote: Note these are all leavers and maybe all these things were possible with a positive attitude but the negotiations are being led by remainers who don't really want to leave
Actually, until last week, negotiations were led by Dominic Raab (leave) and prior to that David Davis (leave). Also operating on our behalf on the world stage in they key roles during this period have been Dr Liam Fox (trace, leave) and Bojo (Foreign Sec and leave). A more humiliating line up I cannot imagine, but a totally pro leave one and operating as the incompetent charlatans they have historically proved to be. That their inability to find the unicorns they promised is being blamed on remainers is one of the most breathtaking bits of spin I have ever witnessed. It would be funny were it not for the fact that our children's futures are being cast aside at the same time. Still, as JRM said, it will all be OK in 50 years time and 'oh by the way I've set up in Ireland did you know?' :roll:
+1 and of course Gove, while not in the front lines, has hardly been cast into the wilderness. If the leaders of the Leave campaign had actually had any kind of a plan (beyond crashing out) they were perfectly placed to take action. It was painfully clear that the leaders of Leave never expected to win and had spent no time, in the years of banging on about leaving, actually thinking about the nuts and bolts of it.
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

mad? wrote:
anotherdad wrote:
mad? wrote:Actually, until last week, negotiations were led by Dominic Raab (leave) and prior to that, David Davis (leave). Also operating on our behalf on the world stage in they key roles during this period have been Dr Liam Fox (trace, leave) and Bojo (Foreign Sec and leave).
:lol: He doesn't have much presence, I'll give you that.
:lol: :lol: :oops:
Thought the Prime Minister had made it abundantly clear that she was leading negotiations with Ollie Robbins. Raab dared to challenge the EU by saying we would withdraw our divorce offer if we didn't get a decent trade deal. He was immediately demoted and told to go and stockpile sandwiches. No doubt told to write his 1000 lines as well (''I must not say beastly things to the EU ... I must not ......)
mad?

Post by mad? »

stimela wrote:Thought the Prime Minister had made it abundantly clear that she was leading negotiations with Ollie Robbins. Raab dared to challenge the EU by saying we would withdraw our divorce offer if we didn't get a decent trade deal. He was immediately demoted and told to go and stockpile sandwiches. No doubt told to write his 1000 lines as well (''I must not say beastly things to the EU ... I must not ......)
As I said.
mad?
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

mad? wrote:
stimela wrote:Thought the Prime Minister had made it abundantly clear that she was leading negotiations with Ollie Robbins. Raab dared to challenge the EU by saying we would withdraw our divorce offer if we didn't get a decent trade deal. He was immediately demoted and told to go and stockpile sandwiches. No doubt told to write his 1000 lines as well (''I must not say beastly things to the EU ... I must not ......)
As I said.
Sorry I think you missed my implied sarcasm. Raab/Davies et al clearly never had any power or leadership. The Prime Minister wrote her own paper for heavens sake when Davies thought he was drafting the official version. They were put in a playroom and left to pretend they were playing with their Brexit lorry ; Vroom! Vroom!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Stimela wrote:Thought the Prime Minister had made it abundantly clear that she was leading negotiations with Ollie Robbins.
That was simply a PR response to the perception that she had lost control of her own party and that Rees-Mogg was really in charge. She's not really leading her party at the moment, let alone negotiations. The Tories haven't even sorted themselves out and reached a consensus on their own position with respect to the EU, so there's little hope of a coordinated and effective negotiation with the other member states.

What I would have liked to have seen happen once the referendum result was announced was a cross-party coalition government for five years to simultaneously govern the country and carry out the complicated process of extricating us from the EU. Instead, we've got a Tory civil war playing out, where the prize is the leadership and direction of the political party but the stake at risk is the country's prospects for the next decade and beyond. That's scandalous from a party that prides itself as being the natural party of government and economic competence. They are a shower.

I'm a Remainer and I wish the result had gone the other way. It didn't and I want us to achieve a positive solution, but no amount of positive attitude is a substitute for professional and credible negotiation, something which seems to be entirely lacking. Leavers saying "a more positive attitude will help" is akin to telling a talent show contestant that if they really really want something badly enough, they'll achieve their dreams. It's facile nonsense.
mad?

Post by mad? »

anotherdad wrote:
Stimela wrote:Thought the Prime Minister had made it abundantly clear that she was leading negotiations with Ollie Robbins.
That was simply a PR response to the perception that she had lost control of her own party and that Rees-Mogg was really in charge. She's not really leading her party at the moment, let alone negotiations. The Tories haven't even sorted themselves out and reached a consensus on their own position with respect to the EU, so there's little hope of a coordinated and effective negotiation with the other member states.

What I would have liked to have seen happen once the referendum result was announced was a cross-party coalition government for five years to simultaneously govern the country and carry out the complicated process of extricating us from the EU. Instead, we've got a Tory civil war playing out, where the prize is the leadership and direction of the political party but the stake at risk is the country's prospects for the next decade and beyond. That's scandalous from a party that prides itself as being the natural party of government and economic competence. They are a shower.

I'm a Remainer and I wish the result had gone the other way. It didn't and I want us to achieve a positive solution, but no amount of positive attitude is a substitute for professional and credible negotiation, something which seems to be entirely lacking. Leavers saying "a more positive attitude will help" is akin to telling a talent show contestant that if they really really want something badly enough, they'll achieve their dreams. It's facile nonsense.
+1
Oh and, don;t forget, the DUP are in charge now :cry:
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Do any of them have an underground bunker with a year's worth of canned goods, bottled water, and more importantly, olives and capers?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Tinkers wrote:Do any of them have an underground bunker with a year's worth of canned goods, bottled water, and more importantly, olives and capers?
We should put Chris Grayling in charge of sorting out all of that. He's excelled at the MoJ and the rail franchises are proving to be a triumph for privatisation. He's the man for the job.

Chris will have it all sorted. Somewhere in a part of the country generally inaccessible by road there'll be a Spar full of Panda Pops, tinned snook and some close-to-date Dairylea.

Look on the bright side and think positively though: imagine how powerful a vacuum cleaner you'll be able to buy once we're out of the EU! Suck it up, remoaners!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Now these people have either got the right idea or definitely, seriously OTT mad.

https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/food-storage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;