The Loft. The story so far...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

The Loft. The story so far...

Post by Tinkers »

As mentioned on the gcse thread, DD was going to clear out the loft over the summer.

Things had to be accelerated as we are having a new aerial fitted, so work began last friday (when I was at work :D )

Things uncovered
Cathode Ray TV that I got secondhand when I was 16 to use with my spectrum plus.
A huge fax machine I was given by work when I had to start working from home (I got kicked out of the office when they got taken over as I worked for a different part of the company).
Relish/hors d’oeuvre forks. Very 70s. I have honestly no idea why I have these (I know where they came from).
Three booster seats.
More of DDs books than I ever remember her having.
Two China tea sets. Again no idea why we have these, I’m not the sort to have coffee mornings or afternoon tea, especially since I drink neither.
Empty boxes for things like printers and toasters that we don’t have any more.
Motorcycle helmet. I sold my motor bike over 18 years ago, so last needed it even further back than that.
A perfectly good CD radio tape player which is almost identical to the one we have in the kitchen, except the kitchen one has DAB. We think one was sent in error and then replaced. We have no idea why we stuck the no DAB one in the loft or why they didn’t ask for the wrong one to be sent back. Neither of us remember anything about it.
A very annoying, noisey train set. DD hated the sound when she was little and apparently still does. (Now gone to a good home, they are probably cursing me now).
A very pink child’s China tea set. DD hated it and never played with it. I don’t know why we kept it.
A very old tennis racket, squash racket and badminton racket. Only the badminton racket could you get away with without being laughed at.
A stroller that I thought I’d given to my sister.
A cat basket and cat treats (best before date 2005). Cats not impressed with cat basket, but then they are contrary and refuse to sleep on /in anything specifically for them.
Countless Christmas gift bags.

Managed to get rid of loads through the local FB groups and had a steady stream of people turning up over the weekend.

Still have the TV and fax machine though. I can’t understand why no one wants them. Museum pieces, probably worth loads. :lol:

On the plus side the loft space is looking better, the aerial man can get to where he needs, the ceilings have stopped groaning.

On the down side, it’s all in the conservatory and dining room.
doodles

Re: The Loft. The story so far...

Post by doodles »

Now you are so well practised Tinkers, I would hate you to lose this skill set, my address is.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My first response to that would be censored, so I’ll just say what I’ve already said to a couple of friends asking the same.

Nope.

I didn’t do anything with the loft itself, but am left to deal with the aftermath. I’ve spent most of this afternoon emptying out various boxes of the polystyrene packing and plastic bags that stuff comes in, so the boxes can go in the recycle bin (well they can’t because it’s full).

Also just found, a big stash of rolls of stickers, some PC speakers, a very old mobile brick phone and two more squash rackets.

Aerial man laughed at the TV.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Your stroller makes up for the lovely ultra lightweight one witha shoulder strap that I said I'd take in for a colleague one day, only later remembering that we'd already given it to our childminder :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Until recently we had the kitchen cabinet doors from my MIL's previous kitchen :? She died 18 years ago :shock: :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

We hid all our old 'Viz' annuals in the loft and when the kids briefly had a table tennis table up there they found them. The humour took a bit of explaining; though not as much as an acquaintance trying to explain a particular type of, er, toy, which her kids found (not in the loft, mind).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thankfully nothing that embarrassing in our loft, and if we had viz annuals, I think DD is old enough to enjoy them without ‘explanation’.

She has raised her eyebrows at a few things though. I think I’ve already listed most of them.

The train set almost caused physical pain
piggys

Post by piggys »

What I wouldn't do for a read of my old Viz annuals and comics. My particular favourites were Student Grant, Spoilt ******* and Millie Tant. I saw something of myself in her..... :P
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If anyone has old computer magazines or bits then do contact: http://www.tnmoc.org/support/donate-equipment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have donated all sorts of hardware, software and magazines :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote:What I wouldn't do for a read of my old Viz annuals and comics. My particular favourites were Student Grant, Spoilt ******* and Millie Tant. I saw something of myself in her..... :P
I liked Fat S***s and Sid The Sexist. When I was reminiscing over this a couple of years ago my youngest bought me the latest annual. But it wasn't funny like the old ones. I think maybe they had toned it down a bit or maybe I had just got old. :( Private Eye more my thing now.

I could never ask my lot to tidy out the loft - they would not let anything be thrown away. There is a family joke about a nasty plastic item in lurid purple and green which I brought down to throw out a few years back. I was met with a three-strong chorus of 'not the sizzlin' barbecue! You can't throw the sizzlin' barbecue out! My whole childhood was spent playing with that!' etc. I actually recall little interest in the thing when they actually had it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now