For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RedPanda

Re: For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Post by RedPanda »

Bizarre shenanigans regarding the televised debate. It appears TM has agreed the BBC host it but JC wants ITV and hasn't committed yet. To be honest, that will probably be the most interesting difference in opinion these two will have.

Looking forward to TM saying that this is the best deal available that respects the referendum and protects the UK economy whilst JC bangs on about his 6 tests not being met and how he could do it better if there was a general election. Neither, being remotely true. :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

May wants the debate as she knows she will come out of it better than Corbyn. I now understand what 'Project Fear' means - it is May and her followers trying to frighten us into imagining how it will be if we crash out without a deal. Which of course does not have to happen. There is a third option. I don't understand why she doesn't have the honour to stand up and say 'Look. This is rubbish. Whichever way we leave the EU it is going to be a disaster. We will be worse off, we will lose our freedom of movement and we will lose a very economically productive sector of our workforce and trade them for the less economically productive migrants who come on family and friends tickets. I cannot take our country into this. I give up. Let's call the whole thing off'. What politician knowingly takes their country into a worse situation than they are currently in, while arrogantly shrugging off any alternative suggestions? It is a nightmare.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:May wants the debate as she knows she will come out of it better than Corbyn. I now understand what 'Project Fear' means - it is May and her followers trying to frighten us into imagining how it will be if we crash out without a deal. Which of course does not have to happen. There is a third option. I don't understand why she doesn't have the honour to stand up and say 'Look. This is rubbish. Whichever way we leave the EU it is going to be a disaster. We will be worse off, we will lose our freedom of movement and we will lose a very economically productive sector of our workforce and trade them for the less economically productive migrants who come on family and friends tickets. I cannot take our country into this. I give up. Let's call the whole thing off'. What politician knowingly takes their country into a worse situation than they are currently in, while arrogantly shrugging off any alternative suggestions? It is a nightmare.
+ 1.

It is also worth noting that she has apparently rejected the suggestion of including leaders from the other parties (Lib dems, Greens, SNP etc). This is likely because she knows that unlike Corbyn, they will put up a convincing case for a second referendum which she might struggle to argue against.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You'd think by Dec 11th "project fear" would be utterly discredited by the simple fact that May won't still be around to impose a no-deal exit, but it's never wise to underestimate the cowardice and self-serving venality of our elected representatives.
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

piggys wrote:
The DM employed Katie Hopkins for quite a while didn't they? and published - under their newspaper name - her 'articles' about refugees and Muslims. These include her racist accusation that a Muslim family from the UK travelling to Disneyland were 'members of Al Q'aeda'. Plus a whole load of other racist stuff I just can't be bothered to look up because I already know what it says. I think the Mail had to cough up over £100k for that one, not to mention masses more to Jack Monroe. Dacre must have felt she was worth it. So please - don't pretend the DM is not racist, misogynistic and xenophobic. It is.[/quote]

Not quite sure why this hate filled rhetoric has not been removed by the moderator and yet mine was? Perhaps you have a better relationship with the moderator than I do?

I think all it reveals is the length remainers are willing to sink to in order to win an argument. As Julie Burchill said in the Telegraph (and I can't wait to hear your views on that paper) ''It's the intolerance of people who have spent all their lives portraying themselves as tolerant.''

A number of you again seem to be ganging up on a fellow forum member for her opinion about Britain's biggest selling Daily Newspaper. It's not National Front daily and if you think all its readers are racists, misogynists and xenophobes then it appears you have a very low opinion of a large number of the populace and that is sad. Most of its feature contributors are women and it is more popular with women than men so it must be hiding its misogyny well.

As a devout Labour supporter (until the Iraq war) I used to disagree strongly with any political opinions they had, but I saw through that that because it is a good read and the sport is excellent. And whatever anyone says about the motivations about the Stephen Lawrence stance, no other newspaper took up that baton and was willing to approach it with the bravery they did. They also launched the campaign against plastic waste long before Blue Planet made it fashionable (no doubt you will accuse them of being anti-plastic) and are currently trying to save children's playparks from being sold off and concreted over (anti-builder). All newspapers have bad apples and they have got rid of most of theirs.

Anyway I get all the best political coverage from ''The Sun'' these days (and even as I'm writing that I can see you going red in the face)

I have reproduced the moderators guidance for us below.

1. Name calling, insults and “flaming” (provocative or hostile posting) are not permitted. Threads that descend into a flame war may be locked or removed temporarily or permanently from the Forum.

2. Posts that may cause offence or are simply inappropriate, that may incite religious or racial hatred, or contain potentially libellous comments, will be removed without warning.
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

RedPanda wrote:Bizarre shenanigans regarding the televised debate. It appears TM has agreed the BBC host it but JC wants ITV and hasn't committed yet. To be honest, that will probably be the most interesting difference in opinion these two will have.

Looking forward to TM saying that this is the best deal available that respects the referendum and protects the UK economy whilst JC bangs on about his 6 tests not being met and how he could do it better if there was a general election. Neither, being remotely true. :roll:
Peoples Vote on which channel it should be on!
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

This thread has run its course and there have been several complaints about many of the posts in it. No progress is being made and clearly posters on all sides are struggling to contain themselves. It is now locked. Please do not carry on elsewhere.