For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:living as I do in an area in desperate need of regeneration, working in another and with most of the family living in yet a third, I can't honestly see any signs of the EU spending very much money on it here either.

I was in Poland recently and just about every nice building or square had a little EU flag plaque on it to indicate where the money had come from. It was literally the first time I had had a tiny wobble about Brexit. But then I came home to the reality of May and Rees-Mogg and Johnson and it didn't take me long to realise which I feel is the greater evil.

Of the people I know well who voted Brexit (2 of them) one has now said they would vote differently in a second referendum. The other says they are 'sure there are lots of negotiations going on in the background', has faith that 'it will all be fine' and in a bizarre logic appears to blame the BBC for the poor deal we look like getting. As this person is a very dear friend of mine, I have decided never to speak about it again with them. It is not worth a friendship.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Stimela wrote:Beggin your pardon Maam and tuggin my forelock ever so slightly, but I must admit to being one of those awful oiks and idiots who devoutly wish to be rid of the control of the corrupt and unaccountable EU.
Loopyloulou wrote:Really the only difference is that our politicians will be making the spending decisions, not Brussels bureaucrats.
Congratulations Stimela, your wish appears to have been granted. Your life will no longer be under the control of those pesky Brussels bureaucrats and their interfering laws on worker's rights which limit working hours and insist on equal pay and health and safety regulations and specify minimum levels of annual leave, maternity pay, parental leave and all the rest of it.

Instead we will be controlled by the accountable and totally non-corrupt Conservative party who have a long history of caring for the rights and welfare of ordinary working people. It must be a particular comfort to know that you have working class heroes like Jacob Rees-Mogg fighting your corner and standing up for your rights in the difficult years to come... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

It was bad enough that 52% of the electorate decided to shoot us in the foot then comes along, Mrs May, reloads the gun and shoots us in the other foot with her stupid 'red lines' ...cutting us off from a Norway type deal.

Brexit is more than stupid, it is positively imbecilic.
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

Congratulations Stimela, your wish appears to have been granted. Your life will no longer be under the control of those pesky Brussels bureaucrats and their interfering laws on worker's rights which limit working hours and insist on equal pay and health and safety regulations and specify minimum levels of annual leave, maternity pay, parental leave and all the rest of it.

Instead we will be controlled by the accountable and totally non-corrupt Conservative party who have a long history of caring for the rights and welfare of ordinary working people. It must be a particular comfort to know that you have working class heroes like Jacob Rees-Mogg fighting your corner and standing up for your rights in the difficult years to come... :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Sorry, must have missed that bit that said we were going to reverse all workers rights. Where can I find that Newsfeed?

As for JRM, I can just vote him out if I don't like what he's doing. I don't have to attack his children do I?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stimela wrote:As for JRM, I can just vote him out if I don't like what he's doing. I don't have to attack his children do I?
Sorry, I must have missed the bit on here where someone did that...?
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

https://news.sky.com/story/jacob-rees-m ... t-11496049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not saying it was anyone on this Forum but if people work themselves in to a lather of hate against someone then this is where it can lead. He always seems to behave quite courteously to even his most abusive critics and I don't honestly think he deserves it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stimela wrote:https://news.sky.com/story/jacob-rees-m ... t-11496049

Not saying it was anyone on this Forum but if people work themselves in to a lather of hate against someone then this is where it can lead. He always seems to behave quite courteously to even his most abusive critics and I don't honestly think he deserves it.
I think that is a step too far Stimela. I see no evidence of 'a lather of hate' from anyone on here, and if you truly believe that expressing a negative opinion of a politician is the same as going up to his children and abusing their father verbally, then you are well on the road to advocating the removal of free speech. I abhor such attacks on anyone's children, just as I do not expect my own children to be abused for my opinions. Conflating that unpleasant incident with what anyone is saying on this forum is not only ridiculous, it is objectionable too.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Stimela wrote:Sorry, must have missed that bit that said we were going to reverse all workers rights. Where can I find that Newsfeed?

As for JRM, I can just vote him out if I don't like what he's doing. I don't have to attack his children do I?
Yes you're right that nothing has been said about reversing workers' rights (at the moment). The point is though that once we leave the EU it will be far easier for the government in power to change these sorts of laws if they so decided to. And I for one, certainly wouldn't put anything past the current Tory government.

But perhaps we'll all be fine and workers rights won't be affected. What about other things though? Do you long for the good old days when Brits were free to go bathing in raw sewage alongside used condoms and tampons before those corrupt Brussels bureaucrats stuck their noses into our affairs and forced us to clean up our beaches?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... r-my-beach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(BTW I hope I can speak for everyone on here in that none of us would support targeting children in the manner of your link however odious an individual their father may be, so not sure what the point of raising that was?)
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I am certainly looking forward to the abolition of the EU-inflicted tampon tax!
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Loopyloulou wrote:I am certainly looking forward to the abolition of the EU-inflicted tampon tax!
There are shops that have already removed it ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now