For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Re: For Europeans concerned by Brexit

Post by loobylou »

My dh refused to let me take an EU flag to a Prom in the Park event (he's anti-Brexit; he just didn't want me to be lynched).
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

solimum wrote:OH will be among those demonstrating outside the Tory Party conference in Birmingham later this month, and has booked to attend a session with JRM in order to heckle!
We will both hopefully be attending the People's Vote march in London https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Oct 20th (we were at the march last Sept followed by waving our EU flags at the Last Night) . There's a list of other events here https://www.peoples-vote.uk/events" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TBH all the effort seen on this forum as parents concerned with our children's education will seem pretty hollow if their futures (and their ability to live and work freely in 27 other countries ) are sacrificed on the altar of false nostalgia for a golden age when Britannia ruled the waves.

Beggin your pardon Maam and tuggin my forelock ever so slightly, but I must admit to being one of those awful oiks and idiots who devoutly wish to be rid of the control of the corrupt and unaccountable EU. I confess however to being very confused as some of us thought we had a Peoples Vote in 2016 which decided that we did indeed want to Leave. Clever Remain type personages did say at the time that we were too thick to understand the true facts but the thing that confuses me is this; if we was too thick to know what to do then, how come we're suddenly clever enough to know what to do now? Why all these facts; EFTA, Euratom, Shengen etc , they're making my head spin just thinking about em. You're quite right in future I will leave these decisions to my betters like yourself who can easily get tickets for LNOTP and do not have false nostalgia for a golden age. In the meantime I apologise again if I ave been speaking out of turn and will scuttle off back to the kitchen to polish his Lordship's boots. I knows my place.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Stimela wrote:
solimum wrote:OH will be among those demonstrating outside the Tory Party conference in Birmingham later this month, and has booked to attend a session with JRM in order to heckle!
We will both hopefully be attending the People's Vote march in London https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Oct 20th (we were at the march last Sept followed by waving our EU flags at the Last Night) . There's a list of other events here https://www.peoples-vote.uk/events" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TBH all the effort seen on this forum as parents concerned with our children's education will seem pretty hollow if their futures (and their ability to live and work freely in 27 other countries ) are sacrificed on the altar of false nostalgia for a golden age when Britannia ruled the waves.

Beggin your pardon Maam and tuggin my forelock ever so slightly, but I must admit to being one of those awful oiks and idiots who devoutly wish to be rid of the control of the corrupt and unaccountable EU. I confess however to being very confused as some of us thought we had a Peoples Vote in 2016 which decided that we did indeed want to Leave. Clever Remain type personages did say at the time that we were too thick to understand the true facts but the thing that confuses me is this; if we was too thick to know what to do then, how come we're suddenly clever enough to know what to do now? Why all these facts; EFTA, Euratom, Shengen etc , they're making my head spin just thinking about em. You're quite right in future I will leave these decisions to my betters like yourself who can easily get tickets for LNOTP and do not have false nostalgia for a golden age. In the meantime I apologise again if I ave been speaking out of turn and will scuttle off back to the kitchen to polish his Lordship's boots. I knows my place.

The peoples vote is a bit of a misnomer.Its roots lie with the billionaire George Soros,the multi millionaire founder of Super dry and all those rich benefactors from their well heeled constituencies who want to stop Brexit for their own financial interests. Ignoring and changing referendum results has a long history in the democratic EEC.It has no such history in the UK.I am amazed how much airtime is given to discredited ex political leaders like Tony Blair and spoken to with such deference on the issue.MP's are already demonstrating when the majority about 74% voted remain and they said they would carry out the wishes of the referendum result that they lied.The chequers deal is evidence to that truth.The silent "unwashed" "uneducated" "ignorant" majority just lose more and more faith with the elite who govern them.

I did say "uneducated" corrected healed to heeled.
Last edited by quasimodo on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

The irony of course is that those from less well-heeled areas of the country, who largely voted to leave the EU, are those who will suffer most when the EU grants which hold up so many projects in their areas disappear. I wonder who they will blame then.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Amber that is wrong and you know it. EU grants come from British money. The British government could continue with those same grants, and increase them, as UK grants instead.
Really the only difference is that our politicians will be making the spending decisions, not Brussels bureaucrats. Who knows, we might even still be able to stop HS2!
Loopy
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Loopyloulou wrote:Really the only difference is that our politicians will be making the spending decisions.
You've put my mind at rest. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Loopyloulou wrote:Amber that is wrong and you know it.
Loopyloulou that is rude and I assume you know it.

I would not deliberately post something I knew to be wrong. I kind of assumed an EU grant was funded by, well, the EU. Obviously that was naive of me and perhaps you could enlighten me and anyone else who was also labouring under that misapprehension.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Stimela wrote:I confess however to being very confused as some of us thought we had a Peoples Vote in 2016 which decided that we did indeed want to Leave.
I can never decide whether people pushing this line are malicious or just politically illiterate. If we only ever needed to vote ONCE on any given subject we wouldn't need to have general elections every 4-5 years, local elections, etc., etc. And we wouldn't have needed to have a referendum on the EU in 2016 because (some of you may have forgotten this) we already did that in 1975 and the People's Vote was to join the EU.

Speaking as someone who voted to leave, and would still do so. But not promising that I'll ALWAYS vote that way so I'm always willing to be asked my opinions again.
Amber wrote:I would not deliberately post something I knew to be wrong. I kind of assumed an EU grant was funded by, well, the EU. Obviously that was naive of me and perhaps you could enlighten me and anyone else who was also labouring under that misapprehension.
The EU, as you very well know, has no money other than that given it by member states. As one of the larger states Britain pays in more than it gets out in grants so could, theoretically, afford to provide more than the EU. If only the money wasn't already 150% commited to the NHS. And farming subsidies. And science grants. Etc.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:As one of the larger states Britain pays in more than it gets out in grants so could, theoretically, afford to provide more than the EU. If only the money wasn't already 150% commited to the NHS. And farming subsidies. And science grants. Etc
Oh I can relax then: I am sure this government will prioritise urban regeneration in the poorer areas of the north of England over any spurious or wasteful misuses of all that spare cash. Phew.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Obviously! There's no way it'll just go in tax breaks to large companies run by shady private equity funds in offshore tax havens. That would just be stupid.

Edit to add - living as I do in an area in desperate need of regeneration, working in another and with most of the family living in yet a third, I can't honestly see any signs of the EU spending very much money on it here either.