What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
piggys

What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by piggys »

I am trying with little success or interest to plough through The Book Thief.

So far this summer I have read: Life After Life (Kate Atkinson), Clothes Music Boys (Viv Albertine), Fallout (Sadie Jones) and the best by far that I 've read is Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. It is utterly brilliant IMO.

What is everyone else reading? is there an elevenplusforum book club?
ConfusedFather

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by ConfusedFather »

Am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.
Great book, very well written (I tend to skip over description that are too detailed, but with this book it's a delight to read the description of this magical Georgian England and soak in the atmosphere) :)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I struggled with The Book Thief, finished it but didn't enjoy it.

Currently reading The Forbidden Queen by Anne O'Brien but also read The Queen's Head by Edward Marston , The Bretheren by Robert Merle and The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I haven't read any of those! I read 'Restoration' by Rose Tremain earlier in the year. If you like historical novels you'll love that. Set in the reign of Charles II. Obviously!!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

ConfusedFather wrote:Am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.
Great book, very well written (I tend to skip over description that are too detailed, but with this book it's a delight to read the description of this magical Georgian England and soak in the atmosphere) :)

Just finished this, loved it. It combines the best sort of Dickens language and humour, without the wordiness of, say, Hardy.

I've taken solace in a couple of Sophie Kinsellas lately, total froth but Twenties Firl was quite fun and interesting. Now reading The Hothouse Flower, can't remember who by.

For historical I love Barbara Erskine, writing fiction based on history long before Philippa Gregory, also love Kate Mosse Labyrinth series.

As I said in a similar thread lately, I forced myself to finish Goldfinch, can't think why, I hated it, soooooooo depressing. Think I kept hoping it would get better but it never did.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I have just finished: The Pearl that broke its shell by Nadia Hashimi

A very good read especially for anyone who enjoyed 'A Thousand Splendid Suns.'

http://www.tripfiction.com/pearl-broke- ... ghanistan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have just read Satnam Sanghera's book "Marriage Material" which I found to be an excellent read with much with which I could identify.I have began Haruki Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" not yet really got into it but since it is a look back in time to amongst other things his first love will get back to it but have decided temporarily to dwell into man's most evil recesses by reading a very short penguin classic by Elie Wiesel called "Night" about his experiences as a child in Auschwitz and Buchenwald.A story of survival which we see being portrayed in different ways today by the survival e.g. of some of the Yazdi sex slaves.

I am looking forward to Robert Harris's new book "Dictator" in his Roman fiction Cicero trilogy series in October.Its been a long time coming for the final part. I also look forward to Con Iggulden's third book on the "War of the Roses" titled "Bloodline".Both are two of my favourite authors of historical fiction.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
piggys

Post by piggys »

I thought the Goldfinch was a work of total genius and adored it - amazing how people's reactions can vary so widely :D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

"White Fire" - Preston&Child. Really good.
Islington Mum

Post by Islington Mum »

Anyone read Richard Flanagan's Narrow Road to the Deep North? It's a hard read about the POW's on the Burma Railway - but an interesting exploration of public heroism, private flaws and lives of wasted opportunities. Then read Alan GArner's The Owl Service (good concept - but confusingly written - couldn't see how it would would Carnegie prize now) and I Coriander ( a lovely, resonant fairy tale). Have just started Station 11
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now