Is it just me or are projects torture for the parents

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wardie

Is it just me or are projects torture for the parents

Post by wardie »

My year 5 has been set a project which has to be in by the end of March.
With all the homework/after school actiities during a school week I have found myself with the half-term endlessly nagging him to get on with it.

I like half-term to be a time to veg out (with a little 11 + practice to keep us ticking over) but I am feeling fraught tonight.

I don't even know how much they are expected to produce but so far he has spent half an hour on 2 sentences and another half an hour on a diagram. If this continues I will be even greyer and he will have a page for a project.

Sorry, feel better already. Tomorrow is a new day

l&k
Wardie
stevew61

Re: Is it just me or are projects torture for the parents

Post by stevew61 »

wardie wrote:My year 5 has been set a project which has to be in by the end of March.
With all the homework/after school actiities during a school week I have found myself with the half-term endlessly nagging him to get on with it.
l&k
Wardie
I would help my child find the information and encourage them to make a draft in note form. That should break the log jam. It is then up to them to write it up. I know the homework police will disagree but sometimes you have to cut the cloth to fit. :D

stevew61
chad

Post by chad »

With you on this one Steve...

encourage use of the internet or library to get info in note form.....discuss the important points and then stand back. Hopefully with the notes your child will have the confidence to complete the project.

Wardie....

In year 5 my child was given a slip of paper with the homework... it gave the points that should be included to achieve certain levels.... this enabled my child to do the project on his own as he knew what was expected.
It could be that your child doesn't know what is expected...and therefore not confident in the approach.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now