Help re Further Maths A level criteria

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DC17C

Help re Further Maths A level criteria

Post by DC17C »

Just having a slight panic as DS is having a wobble about his move to college where he has started maths, FM, physics A levels however for a number of reasons we are exploring his return to his GS sixth form However they are stating he needs a 8 for maths whereas he had a high 7 but also has an A in Further maths GCSE and achieved gold in IMC and merit in a kangaroo challenge and has SEN. Just wondering how we might encourage the school to look favourably on this situation?
Guest55

Re: Help re Further Maths A level criteria

Post by Guest55 »

I think many GS are asking for 8 but if they know him they should take that knowledge into consideration. The additional 'evidence' you have of his ability is relevant and, in my opinion, should be taken into consideration.

Did they recommend F Maths before GCSE results day?
Amber

Post by Amber »

If the school is reasonable, surely the fact that your son is in enough of a fix to be considering an unforeseen return should be enough to give him the benefit of the doubt? Just on pastoral grounds this sounds as though it is going to be necessary. Does he feel as if he is coping with the Maths and FM so far? Surely the best thing is to go to the school and talk it through?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you for your replies...yes I am hoping this can be see in the context of all ds has gone through and he has still done very well in his GCSEs. There is a lot going on for DS and he has got a bit overwhelmed with the transition and hopefully things will settle one way or another. Hopefully we will be able to get a face to face meeting to discuss things properly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good luck - this is the sort of situation I would hope that the GS would 'bend' the rules given the additional qualification.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Good luck - this is the sort of situation I would hope that the GS would 'bend' the rules given the additional qualification.
+1

But I sense you are having a hard time with this DC and I really hope things improve. Perhaps it is the newness of it all and he needs to bed in a bit; though sometimes it is best to cut and run too. I hope it works out soon for you all.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

A bit of a follow up...a return to his old sixth form would have been possible but not if he wants to continue with FM. The UTC is proving to be a good move as they are happy for DS to do the subjects he wants with the grades he has and are supportive of his aspirations. The environment is actually pretty good, facilities are excellent teaching groups are small which suits DS and he likes his teachers so it looks like things are settling down after a bit of a rough start...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

UTCs can be a good option - I am disappointed the GS couldn't be more flexible though :(

If it's Edexcel I can point towards some free resources :)
solimum

Post by solimum »

Moving at 6th form can be surprisingly tricky. DS2 told me (but only a few years later!) that he seriously considered dropping out of his 6th form transfer from comp to grammar (and I know several who did return in his year and later in DD's cohort) as the culture shock was so huge and the work expectation so different from GCSE. But sticking with it until half term at least seems like a good plan
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

solimum - when I moved teaching posts from a comp to a GS I found the sixth form students quite lazy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now