Freecycle

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Denise

Freecycle

Post by Denise »

I wanted to let everyone know about a great site that I have discovered called Freecycle:

http://uk.freecycle.org/

I knew about this a couple of years ago, but there wasn't a local group for my area, so I gave up on it. Now there are no less than 6 groups close to me.

The idea is that you post things that you no longer need and others who want them collect from you. You can also request things that you would like. Missing a widget for your cooker? Try Freecycle! Everything is free.

I have managed to get rid of all sorts of surplus stuff to good homes over the last few days, and there has been a lightning response every time.

It is ideal for electrical goods, as most charity shops won't accept those, but in the last week I have seen everything from a loo seat to a pair of Eurostar tickets to Paris posted!

Have fun! :)

Denise
cindy

Post by cindy »

What a super idea

thank you...

Cindy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you have reminded me!

i've actually set up a freecycle account but had forgotten!!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It's big in my part of Gloucestershire - 80 messages in the last 24 hours.

Must put those old video tapes on it. We've got rid of a lot of things via Freecycle which we no longer had a use for, were too valuable to throw away, but were not valuable enough (or too much hassle) to sell. If no-one takes it, then off to the tip, without guilt.

Let me think... Car booster seat - tatty but functional. Potato Ricer. Plastic Glass Protection sheet. And if there's more than one person asking for the item, you get to choose who gets it, rather than having a 'highest bidder'.

A good friend is slowly furnishing her first house (late starter - in her 40's) - carpets, table, sofa, wooden floor boards (she sanded them down then oiled them - beautiful).

Freecycle is truly a win/win/win thing - you get more space, they get something they need, the environment doesn't get dumped on.

Join now - it's free!
Capers
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Potato Ricer
????? Capers, what's a potato ricer?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

scatshouse wrote:
Potato Ricer
Think giant, potato sized garlic press. Makes very even textured mash. Can also be used for squeezing spicy chickpea/gram flour paste into hot oil to make sev - those spicy crunchy yellow indian snacks (found in Bombay Mix, or should that be Mumbai Mix).

Worked quite well, but had a deliberately loose bottom plate (bit with holes in it), so when you opened it up to put another spud / more gram flour mix in, it stuck to the squashing plate and was a pain to put back in. I now make my own piping bags for doing sev, (I've got a ream of A2 greaseproof paper upstairs) and a normal masher.
Capers
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Capers - NOOOOOO - don't get rid....how will you ever manage without it? :lol:
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

capers123 wrote:
scatshouse wrote:
Potato Ricer
Think giant, potato sized garlic press. Makes very even textured mash. Can also be used for squeezing spicy chickpea/gram flour paste into hot oil to make sev - those spicy crunchy yellow indian snacks (found in Bombay Mix, or should that be Mumbai Mix).

Worked quite well, but had a deliberately loose bottom plate (bit with holes in it), so when you opened it up to put another spud / more gram flour mix in, it stuck to the squashing plate and was a pain to put back in. I now make my own piping bags for doing sev, (I've got a ream of A2 greaseproof paper upstairs) and a normal masher.

Capers is the victim of the kitchen gadget syndrome! I cannot believe how many handy but useless kitchen gadgets I have stored at the back of the cupboard - reminder to self....join freecycle!
cam

Post by cam »

How many days to go? I need a little light relief.
I didn't know anyone actually bought these things!! Life is really too short - get rid of it now.
Thank you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

wahoo! I'm now officially a member of Freecycle, anybody need a burger press??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now