Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm 

The world has gone mad! My nephew has been invited to participate in this event in November - he plays in two orchestras. School will not allow him a day's leave as it is GCSE year - the organisers will not permit attendance without school permission - so no 'unauthorised absence' allowed. What an incredibly sorry state of affairs
and missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:13 pm 

That is crazy - its one day and an amazing experience. I presume neither of the groups are school groups? Did he get time off to be in the National MFY finals?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm 

I would contact the head directly explaining what the event is, and how prestigious it is. I assume he is doing music GCSE? This could be argued as an educational visit - it’s not a “day off” for a jolly! If there was ever a time for the head to use sensible discretion, it’s now!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:09 pm 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
I would contact the head directly explaining what the event is, and how prestigious it is.

+ 1.
Who has refused this educational day?The head?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm 

My daughter has had a number of days off for events like this - the school have always allowed it (including during GCSE year) and it is marked as 'education off site', so doesn't even count as an absence.

The music trust my daughter plays with are struggling more and more with losing their best players once they get to GCSE and especially A level. Two of DDs friends have left her chamber orchestra because the school is putting them under so much pressure now they are doing A levels - insisting they do 4. Personally I think orchestra (or sport, or whatever) is as much part of anyone's education as the exams are - but many schools don't seem to think like this, unfortunately.