Music For Youth Albert Hall

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
asdguest

Music For Youth Albert Hall

Post by asdguest »

The world has gone mad! My nephew has been invited to participate in this event in November - he plays in two orchestras. School will not allow him a day's leave as it is GCSE year - the organisers will not permit attendance without school permission - so no 'unauthorised absence' allowed. What an incredibly sorry state of affairs
and missed opportunity.
Guest55

Re: Music For Youth Albert Hall

Post by Guest55 »

That is crazy - its one day and an amazing experience. I presume neither of the groups are school groups? Did he get time off to be in the National MFY finals?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would contact the head directly explaining what the event is, and how prestigious it is. I assume he is doing music GCSE? This could be argued as an educational visit - it’s not a “day off” for a jolly! If there was ever a time for the head to use sensible discretion, it’s now!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I would contact the head directly explaining what the event is, and how prestigious it is.
+ 1.
Who has refused this educational day?The head?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

My daughter has had a number of days off for events like this - the school have always allowed it (including during GCSE year) and it is marked as 'education off site', so doesn't even count as an absence.

The music trust my daughter plays with are struggling more and more with losing their best players once they get to GCSE and especially A level. Two of DDs friends have left her chamber orchestra because the school is putting them under so much pressure now they are doing A levels - insisting they do 4. Personally I think orchestra (or sport, or whatever) is as much part of anyone's education as the exams are - but many schools don't seem to think like this, unfortunately.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A bit off topic but I have no time to find a more proper thread on music.
Here is Itzhak Perlman'sperformance at age 13.
'Itzhak' star Itzhak Perlman returns to the same stage he graced sixty years earlier when he performed on 'The Ed Sullivan Show' as a child prodigy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YfO-cmErKM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asdguest wrote:The world has gone mad! My nephew has been invited to participate in this event in November - he plays in two orchestras. School will not allow him a day's leave as it is GCSE year - the organisers will not permit attendance without school permission - so no 'unauthorised absence' allowed. What an incredibly sorry state of affairs
and missed opportunity.
asdguest, is the situation now sorted for your nephew? Did he get the authorisation he needed?
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Permission has finally been granted at the last hour! But only after protest resignation of school governor - who also happens to be a lecturer on education at a world renowned university - crazy.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

asdguest wrote:Permission has finally been granted at the last hour! But only after protest resignation of school governor - who also happens to be a lecturer on education at a world renowned university - crazy.
I am glad that your son got the permission that he deserved! :D It is sad that his headmaster has been so stubborn; he must have felt threatened of losing face by coming back quickly on his first decision but couldn’t hold on to it once a school governor threatened to resign!

This might interest you:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... /asi.20916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the work made by E. Goffman on the 'Face theory' is extremely interesting. I let you look for it if you like languages.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now