Dressing up day at school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Maybe this is a silly question, but can't an 11 year old put together their own fancy dress? If not, why do schools dream up such a pain in the **** exercise for the parents? Sorry to sound pompous or partypooping but I think the PTAs at such schools should put forward a motion to ban such days unless they serve some kind of educational or charitable purpose.

I went to an independent school which, through bursaries, served a very wide income bracket from extremely low upwards. The school, in its wisdom, held non-uniform days once a year. Pupils had to make a donation to charity for each item of non-uniform worn on the day. Everyone felt the peer pressure to turn up in non-uniform. But those whose home clothes lacked style or expense felt awkward. (No-one had the sense to turn up with nothing on and avoid a donation) Why couldn't theschool just collected some money for charity from time to time and made uniform compulsory every day.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Well, it's world book day and after thinking I had escaped it...the dreaded letter came home!

DS has gone as a criminal mastermind - aka Artemis Fowl...thank goodness for books with "normal" dressed and indeed human boy characters lol!

I agree that it can be very time consuming and costly for parents to achieve these costumes...what happened to the "dressing up" box at schools where children could use their imagination and make costumes themselves?
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I walked down to school today with the Grim Reaper (complete with home made scythe to cause havoc with) and Lady Macbeth, who up until last night wasn't going as anything. So glad it's over for this year!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Wallasey wrote:So glad it's over for this year!
Please tell me they don't do stuff like this at secondary school?!!
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

I dont want to put you off, but my Year 7 daughter's school had a rag week and each year group had to dress up according to a theme. She went as a fairy... the first time ever she has worn a fairy outfit!! She loved reg week
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Sorry Guys but come on don't be such kill joys.

I think it is lovely to see the kids dressed up and particularly for those that have recently taken tests or are studying hard fro oncoming tests etc and need some light relief. Yes ofcourse it causes us all more work if we decide to make something(which I prefer) but come on don't tell me you didn't feel just a little bit chuffed when you saw your ds/dd's walked into school this morning.

And yes I do work and have a house to keep and another child etc etc and yes agree that schools do sometimes cause us alot more hassle then we need. However when my 9 year old Cruella walked in this morning to meet up with Daf Vader, Snow Whites cruel stepmother and Little Bow peep I was again sure it was worth it. Besides It will all be over to soon and when in the future you are trying to convince them against the mini skirt, ever so small top or knee hanging jeans you will be wishing you were back there with your needle and thread.

So I for one shall cherish every moment!!!

Mel
x :P
Marylou

Re: Mel x

Post by Marylou »

Mel X wrote:However when my 9 year old Cruella walked in this morning to meet up with Daf Vader, Snow Whites cruel stepmother and Little Bow peep I was again sure it was worth it.
:lol:

(I'm sure there's a good story in there somewhere...!)
Burneth

Re: Mel x

Post by Burneth »

Mel X wrote:Sorry Guys but come on don't be such kill joys.

I think it is lovely to see the kids dressed up and particularly for those that have recently taken tests or are studying hard fro oncoming tests etc and need some light relief. Yes ofcourse it causes us all more work if we decide to make something(which I prefer) but come on don't tell me you didn't feel just a little bit chuffed when you saw your ds/dd's walked into school this morning.

And yes I do work and have a house to keep and another child etc etc and yes agree that schools do sometimes cause us alot more hassle then we need. However when my 9 year old Cruella walked in this morning to meet up with Daf Vader, Snow Whites cruel stepmother and Little Bow peep I was again sure it was worth it. Besides It will all be over to soon and when in the future you are trying to convince them against the mini skirt, ever so small top or knee hanging jeans you will be wishing you were back there with your needle and thread.

So I for one shall cherish every moment!!!

Mel
x :P
Maybe it's a boy thing but my DS has no interest in dressing up (although he loved it when he was smaller) - he must be just too cool for school!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I cornered the acting Head at our school today, and thanked her deeply for not having a dressing up day today. Her comment was "I think there's about 10 parents in the school who love it, and the rest find it a chore". She's also a mother of a Y6 child (at another school) herself, so I guess this must have come from the heart!
Capers
solimum

Post by solimum »

Burneth wrote: Please tell me they don't do stuff like this at secondary school?!!
At my DD's school they traditionally go in in fancy dress "to say goodbye to the teachers" on the morning of the Yr 11 leaver's prom.... I happened to be near the entrance last time as they were all going in and it was wonderful.... ( I shall be weeping when time comes for child 3 to leave....)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now