Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm 

I have just been reading another thread (which I didn't want to hijack) but it got me thinking.

I drive my DS to school and know that if he is late he will get a black mark and if it continues to happen he will get a detention. When we are stuck in traffic and it is "a close call" I drop him as near as I can, but when I drive away from the school I see lots of students, who take the school bus, sauntering back from the sweetshop (gosh, the junk they buy!).

I am guessing they know they won't get a black mark, so are playing the game? Sometimes I am sure there is no physical way they can make it in on time - do they have a "get out of jail" card because they use school buses or are schools more savvy than that? These aren't 6th formers either I am referring to.

Just curious really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:38 pm 

The schools will likely know if there’s an issue with local transport (tree in the train line or a major road closed) so I don’t think the wool can be pulled over their eyes really. I know I follow our local bus company on Twitter so could easily see if they have any routes delayed.

Regular offenders are going to be noticed. Plus the school will also know who lives near who.

ETA f it’s an official school bus thhe School are even more likely to know if it turned up on time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

Thank you Tinkers. That is what I don't understand... we have cut it fine a few times (even had to sign in late once - only by a minute or two) but there are still school-bus children milling around. Obviously I don't know if they are getting black marks or have had to do the four minute mile to get in on time, but it just made me wonder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 pm 

Some dc don't really mind about getting detentions.