What to buy as a 'YOU DID WELL' present...?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doubletrouble

Post by Doubletrouble »

We went out for a family meal when the exams were over last year when DS1 took the exams and we promised him a mobile phone if he passed :oops:
but he would have got one regardless as DH and I had agreed that the right time for him to have one would be when he starts secondary school.

We did the same this year for DS2

Oh, we also treated ourselves to a bottle of champers when we got the results and we let the boys have a sip DS1 loved it DS2 said YUK!!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

All this week, since finding out what some of his friends had got for passing the 11+ in past years, my son has said "Can I have 'x 'for passing the 11+, can I have 'y' for passing the 11+?"

I said to him " You've passed an exam son, I haven't won the lottery!!".

We did however go to his choice of KFC for tea!

He will also get a laptop for Christmas the same as his sister did, it's a bigger present than they normally get but invaluable for homework etc.

They would have got a laptop each anyway when going to high school, but I tell them it's for passing the 11+. :D
Fatandfifty

Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Hi, We gave both our daughters mobiles when they passed and I must say they have proved invaluable with regards to picking up times after hockey/netball/drama sessions after their school day. Where I live 'big' rewards are offered. ie. ski holidays and trips to Disneyworld, Florida, so our humble £50 phones faded into significance!
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

fat and fifty - promises of skiing holidays and Disneyworld for passing the 11+ - how hideous. Please tell me which are you live in so that I move before my two take the 11+ if I turn out to be living in the wrong area.

Decades ago everyone took the 11+. When it was abolished in most areas the lack of lavish gifts and holidays for the top 25% of the population must have fuelled a recession.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, before her test I bought her a tiny good luck furry cat to keep with her, and a promise that my heart and soul would be with her all the time. When the results came, I gave my DD a big hug and her favourite tea,which she has on a regular basis anyway! we all shed a few tears of relief, and went to sleep that night cuddled together,(sounds odd maybe,but that is one of the biggest treats for her!) even though she is confident and self-assured, a night in our bed is comforting, and is so easy to provide.

I neither see the need or reason to provide big expensive presents, this is my humble opinion I may add, and I appreciate that others' have there own!
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Warks mum wrote:We had all those great ideas about rewarding the effort not the results - until she got through and then celebration seemed inevitable (we'd probably have done more if we were commiserating!).

The massive celebration involved splashing out on fish and chips!
SNAP! We also threw in some mushy peas and a bottle of bubbly, just to make it really special!! :D
melinda

Post by melinda »

Blimey, I seem to recall promising just about anything for success last year. My husband even admitted to mentioning the word dog on one of the open evenings, fortunately my son realised this was unlikely!!

We must have been/were rather desperate!!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there when my son took his 11+ two years ago we did reward the effort. Firstly I made him a 'Certificate of Excellence on Effort put in to his 11+ practise'. I gave it to him a few days before the test(didn't want to get him all worked up by giving it just before). He was very chufed and still has it displayed on his bedroom wall.

Then before he opened the dreaded letter we gave him a PS2 game and told him it was for all the hard work and that whatever the outcome he thorughly deserved it. We never buy stuff like that between Xmas and Birthday so he really appreciated it. He did pass and after he managed to remove me having jumped all over him he went straight to his PS2 to play the game. We did also go out for eats the follwing day and he got have the 'Prawn Cocktail' he always wishes he could have whenever we eat out. At Xmas we had the whole family over and his dad made a lovely speech all about him and his success and we all sipped bubbly in his honour.

I love the idea of the good luck gift and think I will do that with my dd this year when she sits the test. I know she would love something like this.

Mel
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Much against normal habit I did take the expensive route. Ordinarily DS would probably have got a "well done" and perhaps a new PS2 game. However, I was conned into a new laptop. DS was not, he said, entirely convinced he wanted to go to the GS, and was indicating that he might select it as preference 2, behind the local Academy. This seemed to be partly due to the fact that they gave all new entrants a laptop. Therefore, in exchange for an undertaking that he selects the GS as first preference, passes 11+, and takes up place at GS if offered, I promised him a laptop. I thought that I would probably have to purchase one in the forseeable future for hin anyhow, but it transpires that use of laptops at the GS is not encouraged. I also thought that DS going to GS would save me hundreds in transport costs per annum, but it seems a new low cost schoolchildren transport scheme comes into effect next year. And then when I hand over all singing and dancing laptop (result of further intensive lobbying by text) DS cheerily informs me that he would have put down the GS as his first choice anyway. Maybe he is Grammar material after all.
whsg mum

Post by whsg mum »

When we got the result my daughter said she fancied strawberries, so I went out and bought her some. Next day at school, another girl said to her 'did you pass the 11+? what did your Mum get you???'. When the answer was strawberries, the girl didn't believe her.
We are taking her on a trip to Alton Towers though ....