They Shall not grow old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Loopyloulou

Re: They Shall not grow old

Post by Loopyloulou »

Deleted by Loopy
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I am feeling really old now having read this thread! A couple of you mention Great Grandfathers in the first war but I had a Grandad in it! Interesting to read all the comments and I will certainly try to search out those programmes.
mad?

Post by mad? »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I am feeling really old now having read this thread! A couple of you mention Great Grandfathers in the first war but I had a Grandad in it! Interesting to read all the comments and I will certainly try to search out those programmes.
Me too, and my father fought in WW2, although I should stress I was a bit of a late afterthought in the family planning department :oops:
mad?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

mad? wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I am feeling really old now having read this thread! A couple of you mention Great Grandfathers in the first war but I had a Grandad in it! Interesting to read all the comments and I will certainly try to search out those programmes.
Me too, and my father fought in WW2, although I should stress I was a bit of a late afterthought in the family planning department :oops:
It was my Dad that was the late afterthought so he was too young to go to war (thankfully).
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Blimey, I'm one of the young ones on here then. My parents were born in the mid-50s.
mad?

Post by mad? »

anotherdad wrote:Blimey, I'm one of the young ones on here then. My parents were born in the mid-50s.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

anotherdad wrote:Blimey, I'm one of the young ones on here then. My parents were born in the mid-50s.
But they could have been gymslip parents which could still make you older than me!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
But they could have been gymslip parents which could still make you older than me!
They were young. They had two grandchildren by their late forties and four grandchildren by their mid fifties. Two of those grandchildren are now at university. It's a lovely situation to be in. I had all four grandparents around when I graduated and my daughter is showing her great-grandparent around her university next month. Getting back on topic, my grandmother has some wonderful wartime stories from her teenage years and a good collection of wartime memorabilia and photos from her brothers who all served in WWII, one of whom sadly died and is buried in a Commonwealth cemetery in Baghdad.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I was going to post this last night after I had received early reports via social media but I was so angry.I do so now with controlled anger and disgust.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... e-15397034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was very saddened to see the pictures in this story.I just do not understand some minds.Its unacceptable at any time but especially pertinent now.With surveys showing one in three, up to one in four Sikh families having a member who served in either the first or second world wars this has caused great upset.

I am sure most people will be able to give their own respects in their own way tomorrow even if they are not attending services or parades.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

That is awful. What is wrong with people today? I have seen reports that a lot of the silent silhouettes have been vandalised too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now