Person of the year 2018

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Person of the year 2018

Post by quasimodo »

I wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy new year.Its the time of the year for goodwill to all "men" so lets not get political and or animus.

The FT have named George Soros as their person of the year and I can from the article understand what has led them to this conclusion (despite his well funded support against Brexit and appreciating who is ultimately paying those flag bearers outside Parliament).

https://www.ft.com/content/2bd12012-01e ... 4d49afbbe3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I was able to read the article without a subscription hence the link.If the link brings up a pay wall you might want do it independently.

Who is your person of the year and more importantly your reasons as to why ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Re: Person of the year 2018

Post by quasimodo »

I wonder if the mods can post this in everything else which is where I thought I had posted.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorted
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My person of the year is Sir David Attenborough for using his fame & popularity to finally get people (at least in the UK) to take a bit of interest in the plastic problem. OK, I know that the Blue Planet episode went out at the end of 2017, but the effects have been this year. Maybe I live in a slight bubble but I am seeing people use far fewer plastic bottles, plastic straws are starting to disappear and places are using disposable wooden spoons instead of plastic. There is a long way to go, but every little helps.
scary mum
piggys

Post by piggys »

I really admired - and admire - Cameron Kasky. He is a mere 18 years old but, as a survivor of the Florida High School massacre (yeah, which one was that? ....there are so many in the US) he is taking on the NRA and really becoming a strong voice. Check out the way he challenged Marco Rubio about accepting donations from the NRA. The world needs people like him. Power to the people and power to the Youth.

Good thread btw :)
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

Arnaud Beltrame

The French Police Officer who died after swapping places with a hostage during a terror attack
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Honestly? I know I am supposed to say someone worthy and world changing but mine is my dad. My mum died horribly last year, very young, and despite being incredibly lonely and devastated, he has got through the year and survived. Nothing world changing and as impressive as all the people mentioned above but the bravest person I know.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

kenyancowgirl wrote:... mine is my dad.
It doesn't take a hero to be person of the year. My thoughts are with you KCG.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Great thread. Lots of heros but this
BucksBornNBred wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:... mine is my dad.
It doesn't take a hero to be person of the year. My thoughts are with you KCG.
+1
mad?