Armistice 1918

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BucksBornNBred

Re: Armistice 1918

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Exactly - I agree :)

These were 'ordinary' people doing extraordinary things and facing death every day.
+1

Family circumstances have "forced" me into researching my family history. I have found my Grandad's regiment and the diary of his battalion... it is truly terrifying what these "ordinary" people went through. I can see why he wouldn't talk about it but, oh, I so wish he had (and wish I had been old enough to ask the questions). And again... Lest We Forget.
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

I agree there has been a lack of poppy sellers this year - I suppose the usual ones are getting older and not enough younger people coming forward to take over - must put that on my list for next year - anyway I have a used paper one from last year I am wearing and will put some money in a collection box when I see one. On Sunday I will be sporting the lovely one I knitted when I join the Peoples Procession in remembrance of my great Uncle who was killed at Delville Wood in 1916.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I have just done my stint this afternoon, people seemed appreciative and several mentioned that I was the first poppy seller that they had seen :(
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

doodles wrote:I have just done my stint this afternoon, people seemed appreciative and several mentioned that I was the first poppy seller that they had seen :(
I still haven't seen one :-( I will have to sign up next year to do my bit.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Michael Morpurgo and Michael Foreman have teamed up with the Royal British Legion to tell an original story that explains the meaning behind the poppy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppy-Field-Mi ... oppy+field" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even I know the background of the poppies, I look forward to reading this book as reading Morpurgo's books is usually a pleasure for me.
Recently, I spent enjoyable moments reading 'Flamingo boy':
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flamingo-Boy-M ... amingo+boy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mclm

Post by mclm »

As a student I worked as an auxiliary nurse in my holidays and had the honour of looking after many elderly men who had served on the front line when they were young. In their last days they often told me stories they had never opened up about. I wish now I had written them down. It was a humbling experience that will live with me forever. Many of their generation sacrificed their lives and most of the rest had to live with horrific memories. I think of them all when I wear my poppy each year. Lest we forget.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

mclm wrote:As a student I worked as an auxiliary nurse in my holidays and had the honour of looking after many elderly men who had served on the front line when they were young. In their last days they often told me stories they had never opened up about. I wish now I had written them down. It was a humbling experience that will live with me forever. Many of their generation sacrificed their lives and most of the rest had to live with horrific memories. I think of them all when I wear my poppy each year. Lest we forget.
It is so sad that many of them didn't feel they could talk about their experiences (but totally understandable). I wasn't even in my teens when my Grandad died so I really didn't think to ask him questions. All I asked was why there was a wooden leg in the corner and was told he lost his leg during the great war.

I really hope there are more volunteers next year (hopefully I will be one of them) and RBL make a poppy pin with "Lest We Forget" on it.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
doodles wrote:I have just done my stint this afternoon, people seemed appreciative and several mentioned that I was the first poppy seller that they had seen :(
I still haven't seen one :-( I will have to sign up next year to do my bit.
BucksBornNBred you may find there are more out selling today with it being a Saturday and just the one day before 11th? They have been in our local supermarkets and there was one at Michaelwood Services on the M5 on Thursday night. I wanted to buy a pin on one which said 1918 - 2018 like the seller was wearing, but they weren’t selling them which was a shame.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

helen0209 wrote:BucksBornNBred you may find there are more out selling today with it being a Saturday and just the one day before 11th? They have been in our local supermarkets and there was one at Michaelwood Services on the M5 on Thursday night. I wanted to buy a pin on one which said 1918 - 2018 like the seller was wearing, but they weren’t selling them which was a shame.
Thank you helen0209, but I think it is a bit late in the day now and I would just waste petrol driving around in the hope of finding a seller :( I wanted a 1918-2018 pin too but they weren't even on the RBL website. I have all the other years which is why I know there aren't as many sellers this year in the area. I will probably end up going on ebay to find one, which is sad for the charity.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Addressing about 70 leaders in Paris - including US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin – Emmanuel Macron called on them to "fight for peace":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJjgcLT-bE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now