Armistice 1918

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Armistice 1918

Post by BucksBornNBred »

doodles wrote:Plenty of poppy sellers here and I will be doing my stint tomorrow - 2 hours on the high street outside the local Waitrose with my tin and tray of poppies ( it's cold and wet usually but they do bring me out several cups of tea ) and it's amazing who you get to talk to.
After this year I am left thinking I might volunteer next year... but when I on contacted RBL they really didn't seem that worried that there were no sellers around. I have not found one poppy seller in the area (or even a tray at a checkout/kiosk/customer service desk). I called our local mall and they said there should be a seller there on a Friday but no idea what time as they are volunteers (which I understand).
doodles

Post by doodles »

You should have a local co-ordinator BBB, I found ours via a local town FB page.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Plenty around here too.
For anyone in the Beaconsfield area there is a tribute in St Mary's Church on Saturday, performed by local theatre groups. I went to one of their previous similar tributes & it was very moving.
http://www.youngtheatre.org.uk/flandersfields" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have been a poppy seller, with my boys, for about 10 years in our local village. Whilst anything can be overkill, I am always very glad when I knock and people are happy to see me and contribute - I have a round and spend a fair amount of time talking to some very old folk, many who remember the wars of their youth. I am glad to do my bit - I don't think it glorifies war - I hope it makes the privileged youth of today stop and think a bit more.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My Dad always found Remembrance Day very difficult and would not wear his WWII medals. Now he is not here I am proud to wear them to acknowledge his sacrifice of 6 years and the 'damage' those years did to him.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I obviously don't live in my local supermarkets (though DH might disagree :lol: ) but I knew where I could find a poppy last year but this year nothing... there has for the last few years been a popup store in town but not this year (though that could be down to the council charging ridiculous rates!)
kenyancowgirl wrote:I don't think it glorifies war - I hope it makes the privileged youth of today stop and think a bit more.
And surely that is the aim of the symbol. I really think I need to volunteer next year so I will have to look into it. This year has left me feeling so ashamed of my fellow citizens :(
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:My Dad always found Remembrance Day very difficult and would not wear his WWII medals. Now he is not here I am proud to wear them to acknowledge his sacrifice of 6 years and the 'damage' those years did to him.
That is lovely that you wear his medals :) . My Grandad never mentioned his war years, but the wooden leg in the corner spoke volumes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've also got my grandma's medals from serving as a nurse in France in WWI - she was about my son's age now and from a small village. I can't imagine what she must have experienced.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:I've also got my grandma's medals from serving as a nurse in France in WWI - she was about my son's age now and from a small village. I can't imagine what she must have experienced.
And that is why we should openly show our appreciation and gratitude. What those generations went through is unimaginable. My Grandma worked in a munitions factory in WW1 and put a letter of support in one of the boxes and got a lovely reply from a soldier in France. I just feel we need to remember what those people went through - all of them - and the least I can do is wear a poppy in remembrance 100 years later. Thankfully my DS is (unusually) in agreement with me so he wears his poppy with pride. Lest We Forget.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Exactly - I agree :)

These were 'ordinary' people doing extraordinary things and facing death every day.