Grammar School or Bust: For those planning to move house

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: Grammar School or Bust: For those planning to move house

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote: Slightly unfortunate translation into English, I think. :shock: :lol:
Sorry, I usually cannot get dirty jokes... and I cannot get this one if this is one of them. The other translation I can find is 'The Waterer Watered'. I can only hope that it is a better translation!
Amber wrote: Sounds like the kind of thing you can only find on adult channels Jane Eyre.
This is what A level students watch as part as their French A level. So I do suggest that you get into contact with the different boards if you do not agree their syllabus!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Oh dear. It was a joke. Never mind.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I know it was a joke, Amber. Not a very kind one... and I replied to it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Jane Eyre I give up with you. For some reason you seem to want to get at me and I don’t know why. There was genuinely no unkindness meant. Which is, I think, more than I can say for your original reference to the film (‘and you have become, Amber...’). Just my sense of humour that’s all.

Btw the thread did not start out with the intention of humour. It was a genuine reaction to the report I stumbled on. Please feel free to carry on guys.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Amber wrote:Jane Eyre I give up with you. For some reason you seem to want to get at me and I don’t know why. There was genuinely no unkindness meant. Which is, I think, more than I can say for your original reference to the film (‘and you have become, Amber...’). Just my sense of humour that’s all.

Btw the thread did not start out with the intention of humour. It was a genuine reaction to the report I stumbled on. Please feel free to carry on guys.
:lol: :lol: I do think we should Carry On Regardless, Amber! Jane Eyre, Google a few Carry On films and you will see why some of us sniggered :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote: :lol: :lol: I do think we should Carry On Regardless, Amber! Jane Eyre, Google a few Carry On films and you will see why some of us sniggered :D
Thank you for coming to my rescue to understand the reference, BBB! :wink: I do not know yet the Carry On films. My knowledge is limited at the moment to ‘Mind your language’, ‘The good life’, ‘Fawlty Towers’, ‘Blackadder’, ‘Keeping Up Appearances’ and ‘To The Manor Born’.
I wish I could understand ‘Only Fools And Horses’ but it is still too hard for me… Arrrgh, this Cockney accent! Maybe I should try ‘The Vicar Of Dibley’?
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

JaneEyre wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote: :lol: :lol: I do think we should Carry On Regardless, Amber! Jane Eyre, Google a few Carry On films and you will see why some of us sniggered :D
Thank you for coming to my rescue to understand the reference, BBB! :wink: I do not know yet the Carry On films. My knowledge is limited at the moment to ‘Mind your language’, ‘The good life’, ‘Fawlty Towers’, ‘Blackadder’, ‘Keeping Up Appearances’ and ‘To The Manor Born’.
I wish I could understand ‘Only Fools And Horses’ but it is still too hard for me… Arrrgh, this Cockney accent! Maybe I should try ‘The Vicar Of Dibley’?
If you want to try and understand British smut and innuendo I'd suggest you try watching "Are You Being Served?".

And of course, being French you might particularly enjoy "'Allo 'Allo!" :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Surferfish wrote:And of course, being French you might particularly enjoy "'Allo 'Allo!" :D
On which note, the painting of "The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies" is shortly to be auctioned somewhere in the south-west (Somerset?). The reserve price is £2,500 ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

On the topic of Daft journeys I inflict on my children, I came across this post from a couple of years back, on tsr:

im going to saint olave's next year and i live in east london so the journey is about 1hr and a half. its got really good results and has a good reputation for oxbridge+medicine offers (think they had 66 offers this year, 39 being oxbridge). i dont mind the journey as i go to southend everyday for the past 5 years and i think if you have to make a journey to school the best time to do it is at a level because thats when it really matters.

Brainwashed?, or perhaps some people's DC really do pester them to be allowed to go to school miles away, anywhere, as long as it's a grammar. Although in this particular student's case, the efforts of the English Department at WHSB or SHSB seem rather to have gone unheeded...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Surferfish wrote:And of course, being French you might particularly enjoy "'Allo 'Allo!" :D
On which note, the painting of "The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies" is shortly to be auctioned somewhere in the south-west (Somerset?). The reserve price is £2,500 ...
When I called this thread 'grammar school or bust', Sally-Anne, this was not exactly what I had in mind. :shock: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now