Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

TV programme "The School"

Post by loobylou »

Oh. My. Word.
Is anyone else watching this?
My kids are sitting here nearly in tears that this is some people's experience of school.
It's worth watching I think but I'd be interested in any educators' perspectives (my dh is refusing to watch on principle :wink: )
doodles

Re: TV programme "The School"

Post by doodles »

This week is the third episode. Episode one was fairly standard but last week was heart wrenching for the staff who were trying so hard. I haven't watched tonight's episode yet as I was out. Will catch up tomorrow.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

In a word, heartbreaking. The preview of next weeks episode looks almost too difficult to watch.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I've missed the others but will try and catch up; I assumed this was the first one. I agree the preview of next week's episode looks incredibly sad.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes we have watched from the beginning but last night's still to watch - it is very difficult viewing and any comment I make on twitter ganders huge responses. Very difficult.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

What channel is it on? Is it a doc or drama? Tried googling "The School" but nothing relevant seemed to come up.
solimum

Post by solimum »

It's a BBC documentary - thanks for the reminder, I set it on series record so need to catch up
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0brj5df" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just caught up with last night’s episode - really heartbreaking to see such disheartened professionals - whilst there are good and not so good teachers, the budgetary cuts faced by the school were ridiculous and it was obvious the pressure staff were under - and also obvious that they did care for the children there.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

And yet the end of austerity is in sight and schools will have money for the ‘little extras’.

Just awful.
doodles

Post by doodles »

RedVelvet wrote:And yet the end of austerity is in sight and schools will have money for the ‘little extras’.

Just awful.

By little extras I assume they mean teachers!!! Grrrrrrr

I have just caught up and it's so very sad that this is the education experience of the children and teachers in this school :(
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now