Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm 

I'm hoping that someone out there may be able to help!

My daughter is applying for an EU traineeship, and needs to get a load of documentation ready even though she may not even be shortlisted, since if she is, she only gets 14 days to acquire and upload it all!

We've worked our way through the easier stuff (including the DBS check for £25), but the one that has us stumped is the 'residency certificate'. This is the conversation she has had so far with the traineeship department:

DD: Please could you clarify what this [residency certificate] is? I am a UK citizen and a residency certificate is not something I have ever required.

EU: The residency certificate has to be issued by the country in which you have resided for the longest period in the last 12 months. It stated that you live in an X city, in the X address. Normally it has to be asked to your municipality.

DD: I think this sounds like you require proof of address, which is not quite the same as proof of residency. UK residents don't normally register their addresses with local authorities, and I've never heard of a residency certificate. However, in the UK, acceptable forms of proof of address include driving licences and bank/building society account statements.

Would a copy of my driving licence and/or a copy of a recent bank/building society account statement suffice? What do UK residents normally provide?

EU: No, we want an official certificate. Please reach out to your municipality or similar to ask what they can do for you.

Unfortunately, there was no response to the bit about what UK residents normally provide.

We've sat together entered all the details requested here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-certi ... -residence but it looks unlikely that she will receive a certificate via this means as it really relates to double taxation.

Have any of you had a DC do one of these traineeships? What on earth did they do to get a certificate of residence?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:04 pm 

I don’t think it is exclusively for taxation. I would just ask - stating why you require the certificate.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... E_1217.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 pm 

Just a thought but, the Electoral roll? I’m not sure how you’d get proof you’d registered though.

For all the places I’ve worked, it has been a case of proving you have the right to live and work in the UK. For British citizens, that’s been a UK passport/british birth certificate.

For others, I think having a NI number counts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

that residency is something the Germans have (meldebescheinigung) - you have to register each time you move to a different town, can't get bank account / register with library etc without it . We just don't have it here

Is your DD at college? best bet would be for someone to sign a chit saying she is registered at X college and has been since and lives at XYZ and put lots of official stamps on it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm 

She's done the online application for a certificate of residency (via HMRC), so we'll have to see if they actually agree to provide anything.

She's now working - not at uni any more. She can't really ask her employer....!!

I did wonder about the electoral roll, but as you say, I'm not sure how you get proof.

I'm wondering about some sort of sworn letter at a solicitors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm 

there is this https://www.guildford.gov.uk/article/21 ... n-pensions

have a word with the local electoral roll officer

ETA - Coventry do similar http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/8/elect ... _to_vote/8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 pm 

Thanks for all help so far everyone.

I've been on to the electoral office, and they are going to send a letter confirming that she is on the electoral roll at our address. (Doesn't prove residence though... presumably the EU won't care?).

If this isn't enough, I'll update later!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

Suspect that will be enough for them - headed notepaper and official words etc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:08 pm 

In Italy you can self certify: just write a statement that you reside at x address in y town and sign it. Maybe it's no coincidence that most EU traineeships are taken up by Italians? I would suggest the approach must be valid though for countries where there isn't any municipal registration of residents. At a push, contact your local councillor and ask them to countersign it in their official capacity.