Railway Themed Books

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

helen0209

Railway Themed Books

Post by helen0209 »

DS1 (Y9) has never been an avid reader, but is expected to read a variety of books each year. His main passion is trains, and he discovered the Railway Detective series by Edward Marston. However, apart from reading Two Pound Tram by William Newton and The Necropolis Railway by Andrew Martin he has just stuck with Edward Marston.

Does anyone know of other railway themed books so that he can expand his author pool?

Please, no Railway Children suggestions :lol:
loobylou

Re: Railway Themed Books

Post by loobylou »

Has he read Murder on the Orient Express (Christie)?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

loobylou wrote:Has he read Murder on the Orient Express (Christie)?
No he hasn’t, thanks for the suggestion. Have come across a book called Vanished by Tim Weaver which is set on the London Underground so will try that one as it has modern trains!

Has anyone read The Taking of Pelham 123? It sounds good, but one review said the language was a bit dodgy so didn’t want to risk buying that one for a 14 year old if it wasn’t suitable (especially for reading at school) :shock:
piggys

Post by piggys »

I have read the Tim Weaver book and I would caution against it - it's a thriller with some... 'adult' (yes , exactly) content as well as blood n guts - really not something suitable for a youngster.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

piggys wrote:I have read the Tim Weaver book and I would caution against it - it's a thriller with some... 'adult' (yes , exactly) content as well as blood n guts - really not something suitable for a youngster.
Thanks for the warning :)
KB

Post by KB »

Nothing specific to add,sorry, but does it have to be fiction?
Reluctant readers who have an interest in a particular subject often prefer non fiction as they are eager to learn about their area of interest.

If you still have a local library he could try asking there for recommendations?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

http://eurocrime.co.uk/reviews/Bryant_a ... Rails.html

Yay! I knew there was a Christopher Fowler based around trains of some description. Brilliant writer, very quirky plots - obviously wtiting for an adult market (but not 'adult', so to speak), but if you are already okay with him reading The Necropolis Railway (great book :)) etc, I'm assuming that you are okay with letting your DS? loose in that section of the library? I had an adult ticket at that age and ours moved up to YA tickets - not a 'thing' 45 years ago, at least not in our neck of sunny Staffs - as early as the library would let them, with our blessing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Thanks for your suggestions.

KB it doesn’t have to be fiction - he has a few non-fiction train books but doesn’t seem to want to take them to school? Not sure why as he’s done presentations on trains and all his friends know that he likes them.

ToadMum - that book looks interesting - it says it follows on from Bryant and May On The Loose, but would he need to read the 6 that came before it as well? DH usually reads ‘adult’ ones first to ensure it is suitable, so even if something isn’t he gets some enjoyment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

helen0209 wrote:Thanks for your suggestions.

KB it doesn’t have to be fiction - he has a few non-fiction train books but doesn’t seem to want to take them to school? Not sure why as he’s done presentations on trains and all his friends know that he likes them.

ToadMum - that book looks interesting - it says it follows on from Bryant and May On The Loose, but would he need to read the 6 that came before it as well? DH usually reads ‘adult’ ones first to ensure it is suitable, so even if something isn’t he gets some enjoyment.
In that case, tell your DH he has to read all of them :lol: - they are strange, sometimes quite disturbing (in a 'could this actually happen? sort of way) and really amusing in parts. But no, you can pick one up without having read the previous one(s). I try to track new ones down in the library as they come out now, but I don't think I read the first few in order.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx