Les Miserables

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Les Miserables

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Is anyone else looking forward to the new adaptation of Les Miserables starting today (30th Dec) on BBC One at 9pm?

This version was written by Andrew Davies who says he wants to bring the story back to the original novel by Victor Hugo. It was filmed across Belgium and Northern France and recreates the battles of the French Revolution that saw the underdogs rise up and fight against the system.

I must admit I have never read the book or been able to sit through the musical but have always wondered what I have been missing. It looks good in the trailers, so fingers crossed :)
MedievalBabe

Re: Les Miserables

Post by MedievalBabe »

My whole family is looking forward to it and we have seen the musical/film more than once. I have also read the book and that is the only thing I would even consider comparing it too as the musical is a hatchet of the original text.

Even so I love a good costume drama and this looks right up my street.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Looking forward to watching together as a family.

We are big Andrew Davis fans so have high expectations. DG
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

So, should I read the book before I see this? I am never sure which is the better way. If I don't get on with the book then I won't want to watch this, but if I don't enjoy this I won't want to read the book! First world problems, eh ;-)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Is anyone else looking forward to the new adaptation of Les Miserables starting today (30th Dec) on BBC One at 9pm?

This version was written by Andrew Davies who says he wants to bring the story back to the original novel by Victor Hugo. It was filmed across Belgium and Northern France and recreates the battles of the French Revolution that saw the underdogs rise up and fight against the system.

I must admit I have never read the book or been able to sit through the musical but have always wondered what I have been missing. It looks good in the trailers, so fingers crossed :)
I too have never read the whole book by Victor Hugo.I have seen different films but my favourite was the 2012 musical version with Hugh Jackman and the hugely impressive Anne Hathaway.The film is well worth watching.I recall watching the play many years ago in the West End if memory serves me correctly it was on a circular stage.That was a huge pleasure even though we were watching it from the heavens.I will watch the first episode to see if it compares to the films and the play and maybe watch the others.

Thanks for telling us.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

quasimodo wrote:Thanks for telling us.
It was a pleasure. I love the classics and really don't know why I have never read this one (I know why I have never seen it because it always seems to be a musical, the same as A Christmas Carol and Oliver usually are and both make my skin crawl when set to music!!)

I have only recorded it so still wondering whether to read the book first... difficult choice. Sometimes the book ruins the film, other times the film ruins the book! Any specific advice would be appreciated.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Having watched it with my daughter I would recommend it. She did compare it to the film musical but still enjoyed it. There are some extras Andrew Davies has added from the book by reading between the lines but I think it actually makes it more enjoyable.

The book itself is not the easiest read and can be very depressing and the first episode clings to how life is hard.

Can't wait for next weeks episode.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Just watched a fantastic programme on Andrew Davies called Rewriting the Classics.

It starts with a discussion about his Les Miserables adaption and then looks back on his other work.

Really interesting. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My goodness, things were very gritty tonight.

I had to leave the room for the really nasty part, you will know what I mean.

Real cliffhanger end, hard to wait a whole week for the next episode.

I like the way the different threads move in and out of each other all the time.

I thought the scenes with the Mayor were close to the Major of Casterbridge and I have not really noticed that in previous versions. DG