Bank Account for teens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Bank Account for teens

Post by salsa »

piggys wrote:We just opened a Nationwide FlexOne account for dd2 who is nearly 14. It gives her a debit card and we can make transfers into it easily. She gets a tiny bit of interest and it won't allow her to go overdrawn. We'll be making a modest monthly transfer so she can start managing her own money. My elder dd has one as well and uses it as a contactless for everything from coffees in costa to cinema entry. She can make easy withdrawals from ATMs as well. We bank with Nationwide and are happy with them - I 'm pretty sure they are Which? magazine's top bank.
My children have this one too. It works very well, even abroad. However, do consider that the account in on their name and in occasions when they have lost the contactless card, I've only managed to put a freeze on it, as they had to call to give all the security information, which I had to be whispering to their ear anyway!

They literally call me from the cashpoint when they need money, I transfer it and the money is there instantly!

I don't put much money on it as the cards are contactless and both of them have lost them before.

Salsa
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thumbs down for Halifax. I opened a kids account for both with cash card which neither used much (miserly) and when dd recently tried to take some out the card didn’t work, she went into her branch (where I recently went in with her and did the paperwork to transfer branch as we have moved house), and they told her I have to be present for her to withdraw any of her own money, even in her own branch with ID. When I get time to faff around moving her account, it will be else where! Any other good ones for a 16 year old, folks?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Both ours have HSBC ones and have done since they were 10 (from memory) - htey seem to "grow" with the chld, with different cards coming at different ages - basically a Saving account and a linked card account - they can transfer money between the two - but both keep the majority in the Savings account which earns a tiny bit of interest and just transfer over what they need onto their debit card account - means they can make card payments for fuel etc but cannot get overdrawn. Also means we can make transfers and family can for birthdays etc which works well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now