Private University Course and Private schools.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Private University Course and Private schools.

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The part of the MMI she will have problems with is reading the information before going in, and assimilating it, and then acting on it, if she has slow processing skills - especially under pressure. However, she can practise these - many very very good candiadtes do not get in the first or second time they apply - some do not get any interview invitations, others do not get through the interviews. Medicine at Oxford may not be the best ambition - to be honest, a lot of very good students I know rejected it as there are far better courses out there.

But yes, there is no getting away from the huge workload on the course and in the job - and the varied nature of the training that can be difficult for anyone on the spectrum - and actually anyone - being in so many different places and having to deal with so many different things with no warning.
Eccentric

Re: Private University Course and Private schools.

Post by Eccentric »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The part of the MMI she will have problems with is reading the information before going in, and assimilating it, and then acting on it, if she has slow processing skills - especially under pressure. However, she can practise these - many very very good candiadtes do not get in the first or second time they apply - some do not get any interview invitations, others do not get through the interviews. Medicine at Oxford may not be the best ambition - to be honest, a lot of very good students I know rejected it as there are far better courses out there.

But yes, there is no getting away from the huge workload on the course and in the job - and the varied nature of the training that can be difficult for anyone on the spectrum - and actually anyone - being in so many different places and having to deal with so many different things with no warning.
I agree KCG medicine at Oxford is not the best option. I am told by my cousin who went there that it is very conventional and that they look badly upon anything that deviates from the traditional. Apparently a girl in her college who should have got a 1st was downgraded because she went against advice not to write a final essay on a complementary medicine. By all accounts her work was excellent it was just the topic that lost her, her 1st (obviously this is all hearsay). By the way Well done to your DS for getting this far and I wish him teh very best and hope he gets a place at wherever is his preferred course.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now