Private University Course and Private schools.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moon unit

Re: Private University Course and Private schools.

Post by Moon unit »

Isn’t the extra time in exams there to compensate for the slow processing?
Do all people with slow processing have dyslexia and vice versa?
I agree I can’t see how slow processing and medicine are compatible really.
I am involved in med school interviewing.
These are now for most med schools six scenarios that are very tightly timed.
Two mins to read the info and five mins to respond.
If you need more than the two mins it comes off the response time.
Has your daughters slow processing been clarified by an Ed Psych?
I don’t think it’s at all realistic to allow course work for candidates depending on their learning needs.
How could that possibly be fairly managed.
2childmum your dd sounds amazing.
To have that level of insight at her age will help her enormously going forward. You must be so proud of all she has achieved.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Moon unit wrote: I am involved in med school interviewing.
These are now for most med schools six scenarios that are very tightly timed.
Two mins to read the info and five mins to respond.
If you need more than the two mins it comes off the response time.
Interesting that they are doing that for the med school interviews now - good idea as I think probably learn more about the candidate and how they think / react than in the old formal interviews.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Moon unit wrote: Do all people with slow processing have dyslexia and vice versa?
I don’t have slow processing speed, but I do struggle with doing things in the right order and need a written list. I had a boss that took a while to get that I couldn’t do this.
I can’t do a series of calculations in my head for example, unless I can write the steps and intermediate answers down. I also can’t spell outloud, I need to write it down. I struggle with alphabetic order, so given two words that start with letters close to each other in the alphabet and I’d have to go through it to work out which comes first. Same with months off the year to same extent. People navigating me in the car need to point rather than say left or right, as I can’t always get that correct. They usually forget to do this. I had R and L written on my hands for both my driving test and motorbike test. (It’s much easier for me to navigate someone else, as I point and say things like ‘next turn on your side’, I’m actually very good at reading maps.)
Moon unit wrote: 2childmum your dd sounds amazing.
To have that level of insight at her age will help her enormously going forward. You must be so proud of all she has achieved.
Absolutely
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Yes I am very proud of her. She has always been very insightful - both about herself and about those around her. I also feel quite sad for her sometimes - she wanted to study neuroscience, having spent quite a bit of time watching Ted talks and Youtube videos about her dyslexia, and she did love Biology, so it is sad that her difficulties have meant she has decided not to pursue either. But I have always prioritised her mental health and happiness above academic achievement, and I think she has picked that up for herself.

I had to smile at Tinkers post - DD is also a bit 'dodgy' where the alphabet is concerned, gets left and right around the wrong way, and sometimes thinks one number and writes a different one down. Telling the time is a bit of a challenge too! She is quite disorganised - I'm trying to help her learn some strategies to overcome this one! However, she seems to be able to organise all her work at school and I think she just runs out of energy once she is at home.

Left and right is also an issue, although doing drill at Sea Cadets seems to have helped with that one quite a lot! I shall have to remember to tell her to write L and R on her hands for driving.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

On the plus side, I can read and write backwards (sometimes without realising it) and read mirrored clocks. I can also read upside down (useful for parents evenings and seeing things on the boss’s desk).

My driving instructor got me to wrote R and L as whilst he would adjust to me, you can’t expect the examiner to. Another example of how you adapt to the world, rather than expect it to adapt to you. For a motorbike test, the examiner is on a bike behind you, so it really was the only way.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

The med school interviews are designed to assess specific competencies which are laid down by the GMC.
There might for instance be a breaking bad news scenario, interpretation of a graph of blood sugar and insulin levels, a manual dexterity task and giving instructions.
The idea is that even if one or two go wrong the others hopefully will give you a chance to get an offer.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

hermanmunster wrote:
Eccentric wrote:When a YP has a processing speed problem I think coursework should be allowed. It is a huge disadvantage to have to take a timed exam otherwise.

It probably is. Would also be very hard going to med school and more so, working as a junior doctor where huge amounts of information come from all directions with little time to assess them.
One of the time limited tests used when people apply for GP rotations is giving them 5 written scenarios all at the same time and asking them to put them in order of priority with explanations as to why and what action you would take on each one to help clarify the urgency. The important thing is that the red flags hidden in the text are not missed.
I do know this Hermanmunster. I come from a family of medics and if you knew me you would know that I have done everything I can to open my DDs eyes to the reality. Sadly I have not succeeded as yet.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Moon unit wrote:The med school interviews are designed to assess specific competencies which are laid down by the GMC.
There might for instance be a breaking bad news scenario, interpretation of a graph of blood sugar and insulin levels, a manual dexterity task and giving instructions.
The idea is that even if one or two go wrong the others hopefully will give you a chance to get an offer.
If Med school interviews or any other interviews for that matter exclude YP who have very high IQ but slow processing speed it is a very sad world indeed. Einstein was a dyslexic apparently with slow processing speed. Where would we be today without him. Carol Greider was also a dyslexic she won the 2009 Nobel Prize in Medicine for discovering telomerase.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Einstein didn't have to be able to think very fast on his feet. The very nature of physics research means he could spend a long time mulling things over - he didn't have to respond to an emergency where speed is of the essence.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Slow processing speed doesn't always mean that you can't do things fast. It means that y.ou can't write things fast.
There are actually lots of benefits to dyslexia for example some dyslexics have an extraordinary memory for auditory information because they have had to learn to compensate for not being able to convert their thoughts into written information easily.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now