Snow in Bucks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Snow in Bucks

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Gosh, I am glad that is (nearly) over! Wycombe was gridlocked yesterday and Marlow Hill really was how Guest55 always describes it! My whole journey to collect DS took over 5 hours! Definitely something to consider when choosing a school.
Tinkers

Re: Snow in Bucks

Post by Tinkers »

A colleague of mine lives in Bucks and didn’t come in today. Last night it took him several hours to get home.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I think I was on Marlow Hill for an hour! The problem with Wycombe (and the area) is that it is so hilly that even when the main roads are clear there is no way to escape (even on foot sometimes). We, like many others, had to abandon our car though not thankfully not as badly as some I found today; there is an image on BFP showing a car abandoned across the road on a windy hill. Don't know how the owner slept last night!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, it seems to have taken everyone by surprise. It was chaos around here, fortunately we didn't have to go anywhere.
Anyone remember when people had to sleep at John Lewis in High Wycombe because of the snow? I heard they got to keep the duvets etc :lol:
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I remember this one well.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/th ... -1-9038537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I left work at 5 and it had already been snowing heavily for an hour. I gave up trying to get home in the car after 1.5 hours and headed back to work. Left the car at work and walked to the train station hoping there would be a train. Managed to get to Leeds, which at least was more civilised, then managed to get another train, finally walked home from the train station, arriving there just before 10pm. Compared to my colleagues I did well. Most of them got home about midnight...

My Bucks colleague has 4wd and still nearly ended up in a ditch last night, and was trying to drive around abandoned cars on hills.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

This was well predicted though. We knew it would snow at 3pm (came slightly early) but the roads hadn't been gritted. I will say that I think the chaos was mainly caused by traffic lights as sitting for hours at lights you could see that priority is given to side roads. Take the fly over; locals know that if a car approaches the flyover from the car park then the lights on the flyover turn green BUT continuous traffic from the car park means one car at a time from each traffic light, hence standstill (same elsewhere from what I saw). And aggressive driving doesn't help (why do so many people block roundabouts?!) Well, I have got my car closer to my house tonight so I will see what happens tomorrow...
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Tinkers wrote:I remember this one well.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/th ... -1-9038537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I left work at 5 and it had already been snowing heavily for an hour. I gave up trying to get home in the car after 1.5 hours and headed back to work. Left the car at work and walked to the train station hoping there would be a train. Managed to get to Leeds, which at least was more civilised, then managed to get another train, finally walked home from the train station, arriving there just before 10pm. Compared to my colleagues I did well. Most of them got home about midnight...

My Bucks colleague has 4wd and still nearly ended up in a ditch last night, and was trying to drive around abandoned cars on hills.

This brings back memories! I was in my first job post uni. I stayed at work until after 5...I waited an hour for a bus...no buses...went to train station to get a taxi...no taxis so I walked home through some of the roughest areas of Leeds in deep snow wearing office court shoes! It took me a good few hours to get to Roundhay where I lived. A colleague came with me and slept on my sofa, unable to get home too.

We're just not very well prepared for snow! My car is totally useless, it was sliding a lot on the ice on Wednesday am on the bus run. DH took a long time to get home on the M40 too :(
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

When I went back to work, I put on my site coat, safety boats and overtrousers, before heading out for the train station.

Nice and toasty, plus kept me dry. I was very grateful for the boots especially.

However I had snow encrusted hair.

When my boss eventually got to his house, he had to slap his cap against the wall because it had a couple of inches of snow on it.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tinkers wrote:I remember this one well.

That wouldn't be Coombe Hill would it... when I drove up it the day after, it reminded me of a scene from War of the Worlds with cars abandoned at all angles on every bend. I am so surprised there was no damage.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Octsmum wrote:This brings back memories! I was in my first job post uni. I stayed at work until after 5...I waited an hour for a bus...no buses...went to train station to get a taxi...no taxis so I walked home through some of the roughest areas of Leeds in deep snow wearing office court shoes! It took me a good few hours to get to Roundhay where I lived. A colleague came with me and slept on my sofa, unable to get home too.

We're just not very well prepared for snow! My car is totally useless, it was sliding a lot on the ice on Wednesday am on the bus run. DH took a long time to get home on the M40 too :(
Memories for me too! Many moons ago snow whilst I was at work and there was a total whiteout. All buses had stopped (long time waiting to realise that). I waited around for a taxi and eventually got one. I told him my address, I got in and he started driving. All seemed fine until he got to the top of my hill and stopped... "this is as far as I go" he said and I had to pay and get out. As you say, office clothing so not prepared and the snow was deep! I just stood at the top of my hill and cried. But as I stood there a car appears around the corner and it was a couple of mates out for a drive :?: and they drove me down the hill to my home. The universe works in mysterious ways sometimes :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now