Mumps

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Mumps

Post by BucksBornNBred »

loobylou wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:My DS never got chicken pox so should I be worried? Mind you, in theory I never had The Mumps (despite my siblings having it ... and I shared a bed with one of them!)
Adults get it worse than children in the whole. We often treat adults who get it whereas we don't treat children.
But no I wouldn't be worried. Just make sure he knows he's not had it should he have children in the future and should one of them develop c pox...
Is it possible to have CP without knowing it? I assume not but just asking the question. He has never had any rash. Thanks for the heads up re telling future generations.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Some people have very few spots, so I suppose it's possible. You could have him vaccinated?
scary mum
salsa

Post by salsa »

We had chicken pox and measles as children, but our younger brother didn’t. He got tested as an adult and it turns out he had antibodies. He did have the MMR at his doctor’s advice as his daughter was very poorly then.

When my eldest was in reception, all the children were coming down with chicken pox. We had a holiday booked and read that the airline would not let a child board the plane with chicken pox. We rushed to have both boys vaccinated privately. We were told that he would be probably incubating it, but that the vaccine would probably still be beneficial.
He developed a very mild case of chicken pox. Just a few spots and nothing else. My youngest never developed it even though he’s subsequently been exposed to it.

Salsa
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

scary mum wrote:You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox. It's a type of herpes virus so hides in the nerve endings like you get with a cold sore and tends to pop up when your defences are low.
If you haven't had chicken pox you can in theory catch it from someone with shingles.
^^ this.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I had mumps at least twice as a child, possibly three times, and gave it to my grandfather who was very unwell. I also avoided chicken pox until I was 18 and was very poorly, ds1 at nearly 21 still hasn't had it even though ds2 had a good dose of it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
newbieCath

Post by newbieCath »

No vaccine is 100% effective and apparently the mumps one is one of the least effective vaccines. It is why they do boosters. But even then the effectiveness wears off over the years so people may end up getting the illness when older which is usually more dangerous than getting it as a child.

Some explain that vaccine herd immunity is a bit of a myth.

Wang et al. (2014) Difficulties in eliminating measles and controlling rubella and mumps: a cross-sectional study of a first measles and rubella vaccination and a second measles, mumps, and rubella vaccination. PLoS One 9:e89361

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24586717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The reported coverage of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is greater than 99.0% in Zhejiang province. However, the incidence of measles, mumps, and rubella remains high.”

Harvard trained immunologist Tetyana Obukhanych with a PhD in Immunology writes more about the herd immunity subject here which is an interesting read!
https://healthimpactnews.com/2017/harva ... to-anyone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think anyone who supports that herd vaccine mentality is a myth needs their head examined.

It is idiots like that stupid man who put the fear of god into people about the MMR vaccine that have caused numerous issues - especially for the nhs which is on its knees. And I speak as a mother of 2 boys who are seriously immunocompromised and need other people to help protect them.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I think anyone who supports that herd vaccine mentality is a myth needs their head examined.

It is idiots like that stupid man who put the fear of god into people about the MMR vaccine that have caused numerous issues - especially for the nhs which is on its knees. And I speak as a mother of 2 boys who are seriously immunocompromised and need other people to help protect them.
Absolutely.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

All parents who are lucky enough to have healthy children who are able to be vaccinated have a duty to do so there by protecting the children who can’t be vaccinated due either to problems with their immune system they were born with or as a result of treatments such as chemotherapy.
These immunocompromised children can easily die from illness that vaccines can prevent.
The rest of us have a duty to do all we can to stop this from happening.
It is incomprehensible that people do not believe in herd immunity.
The evidence is all there.
It beggars belief that in 2019 people are still promoting this total nonsense.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

newbieCath wrote:
Harvard trained immunologist Tetyana Obukhanych with a PhD in Immunology writes more about the herd immunity subject here which is an interesting read!
https://healthimpactnews.com/2017/harva ... to-anyone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Calling Tetyana Obukhanych “Harvard trained” is not credible, although given that she ignores science and instead writes this medically-unfounded paper with “advice” (and malign intent) that will harm other people’s lives, and you cite her as your best source, I can see how that might happen. She “was involved” (and is reassuringly vague and unclear on what terms or for how long) in some post-doc lab work there. Her qualification isn’t from Harvard.

On the other hand, if you think Harvard adds credibility on medical matters and you’re looking for a Harvard viewpoint, try the Faculty Editor of Harvard Health Publishing:
We just can’t say that it’s safe to be unvaccinated. It’s not safe for the child whose parents choose not to vaccinate—and it’s really not safe for the infants or people with immune problems who cannot be vaccinated, who need vaccinated people around them to keep them well.

Vaccines are a medical treatment, and like any medical treatment, they can have risks and side effects. So much has been done, and is still being done, to make vaccines as safe as possible. It’s always important to ask questions and be careful in making decisions.

But when making those decisions, it’s crucial to think not just about the vaccine—but about the disease it can protect you from.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the ... 1603229426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vaccines matter. We take what is offered. All of it. We paid for the chicken pox vaccine too. It’s a filthy, rotten, miserable illness that can leave permanent scars on the body. Trust me, I had it as an adult - that’s a lot of spots...
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now