Non-iron white school shirts/blouses

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Non-iron white school shirts/blouses

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I had 14?shirts to iron the other day - it took less than 30 minutes. You don’t have to iron non iron every time - to be honest by the time they get to school, would anyone notice? It’s not really a biggie!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I don't iron and DD managed for 5 years in Tesco ones. If they had been terrible then either DH or DD would have done something but they never did. By the time a backpack has been worn for the 25 min walk to school then there would be new creases anyway.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

At what age do we think DC's should be responsible for doing their own ironing?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

in this house - at the point where they care about creases :lol:
DD knows I won't be ironing it so it is either ask Dad or do it herself.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Surferfish wrote:At what age do we think DC's should be responsible for doing their own ironing?
Once they have left home. I can't take the stress of worrying that the house will have burned down while I'm out :lol:. Although the invention of the 'auto off' iron goes a long way towards soothing my nerves, even if our new one has a very annoy beep. Seriously, I don't need to know when you are shutting yourself off, just to be confident that you will have done so if I go off to make a cup of coffee and somewhere in the process remember that the bins need doing or the dinner needs getting on with.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading Mum wrote:in this house - at the point where they care about creases :lol:
DD knows I won't be ironing it so it is either ask Dad or do it herself.
I don’t iron either. I try and wear tops and trousers that dont need it. DH irons his own shirts and trousers, any shirts of mine that might need it and did iron DDs school shirts. Now she doesn’t wear school uniform, there’s much less. I don’t think she cares anyway and doubt but she would iron most things through choice. Most of her clothes don’t need it.

I believe she does know how to use an iron, but yet to see evidence. To be fair, she does a lot of stuff for herself (and for us) around the house.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Yes, agree that letting them loose with the iron may be more hassle than its worth!

More generally though at what age does a scruffy DC stop reflecting badly on their parents and start just reflecting badly on themselves?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Surferfish wrote:Yes, agree that letting them loose with the iron may be more hassle than its worth!

More generally though at what age does a scruffy DC stop reflecting badly on their parents and start just reflecting badly on themselves?
Once most of the people they see have no clue who their parents are probably.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Surferfish wrote:Yes, agree that letting them loose with the iron may be more hassle than its worth!

My problem is one of my DS and my DH can go into a changing room, try something on, come out to show me and still look scruffy. As soon as either of them move their shirttails hang out I must sound like a parrot "tuck yourself in, tuck yourself in" :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

An ex boyfriend of mine was like that. Could make the smartest of clothes look scruffy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now