Non-iron white school shirts/blouses

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drinkmoretea

Non-iron white school shirts/blouses

Post by drinkmoretea »

Please can anyone please recommend good white school shirts/blouses that are genuinely non-iron? At the moment we intend to try a few but if anyone can point me to a good brand/model I would be very grateful indeed. Life is busy enough without having to iron numerous extra shirts per week.

Thanks
Last edited by drinkmoretea on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: Non-iron white school shirts/blouses

Post by Tinkers »

DD had John Lewis supposedly non iron ones. They still needed a bit of a going over with the iron though. They might be better if tumble dried, taken straight out and hung up, but we don’t have a tumble dryer.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS had supposedly non iron shirts but they still needed a quick going over. Like Tinkers we don't tumble dry so may be better if you do.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

M&S ones never got ironed in this house & were fine none bought for a few years now). Mind you, my children tend to have floordrobes, so I refuse to iron something that will end up on the floor.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:M&S ones never got ironed in this house & were fine none bought for a few years now). Mind you, my children tend to have floordrobes, so I refuse to iron something that will end up on the floor.
The non-iron shirts we bought one year fell at the first hurdle, in that the creases created in the process of putting them into the packet survived a pre first wear wash essentially intact :roll:.

DS2's current Asda shirts (some 'school', some adult) do quite well when washed and hung straight out on the line and have been known not to visit the ironing board between there and going back onto DS2, although I do usually spend a few minutes making them hot and flat , as we used to describe ironing to the DC when they were very young. No idea about the qualities of their female version, though, as DD spent most of her pre GCSE years at a school with 'monogrammed' blouses (the design of which, though smart, really did render them a pig to iron).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think we tended to use M&S - they got hung up to dry straight from the washing machine but never ironed.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Over the years we have had Tesco, Matalan and Asda non iron shirts. Work best out of the tumble drier and hung up or off the line and hung up but every so often I do run the iron over them too!
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

Thanks for all the tips. M&S do advertise them as non-iron so I am hopeful with those. JL say they need less ironing (but not no ironing). I am really after no ironing (and just planning to hang them as soon as the wash has finished).
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My DS and DD have been in school shirts for 22 years between them.
We are convinced in our house that the non iron thing is just a marketing ploy.
My DS never wears a jumper so can’t get away with doing nothing even in the winter.
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

The more I look into this, the more I realise that:
The more time they spend in a PE kit as school, the better (as it reduces shirt ironing time)
Non-iron open necked long sleeved blouses are not easy to find.

Update: Banner sell Non-iron open necked long sleeved blouses - will try those I think
Last edited by drinkmoretea on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.