Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:15 pm 

Does anyone have experience of the tests for in year applications? Missed the opportunity of doing the 11+ due to relocation etc. But now on a waiting list for year 7 or 8. Anyone else been there?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:23 pm 

Schools usually have an ‘In year admissions’ policy on their websites alongside their year 7/12 policies, so worth having a look at the schools you are interested in.

At DDs school parents ask to go on a ‘continuing interest’ list. When a spot comes up, they contact parents and invite those interested in for testing. It’s often at reasonably short notice. They want to fill the spot fast.

Year 7 often have the waiting list carried over from normal admissions until Christmas, some for the whole of year 7.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm 

Thank you for your post Tinkers. I am already on list of Chelmsford and Colchester girls grammars. Was wondering what the tests would be like if a place becomes available.
:?:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm 

Tictoc wrote:
Thank you for your post Tinkers. I am already on list of Chelmsford and Colchester girls grammars. Was wondering what the tests would be like if a place becomes available.
:?:

Any information on that should be on the school website. It varies from school to school, but expect English and maths, possibly science and/or MFL. Also common could be VR/NVR.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:17 pm 

Thanks....unfortunately there is nothing on the websites to that effect. I suppose it could be any combination then. Was hoping someone here has been through it already. I guess it will be something you cannot prepare for like with the 11+. Probably chances also limited if there is tens of candidates chasing 1 free spot. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:29 pm 

I don’t know how competitive places might be at the schools you are interested in, but at DDs school I think there were 18 invited in when a girl left. The test results stood for the rest of the academic year, so when another left, they took the second best girl from the previous test.

I suspect the schools leave what they will test a little woolly so they have the option of doing what they feel suits them best and stops over preparation. I doubt there will be much notice either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm 

Yes, I guess you are right. Thanks.