Do we really need to keep covering exercise books?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Do we really need to keep covering exercise books?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

RedVelvet wrote:No plastic covers here either. Are the school suggesting stick-backed plastic? If so that’s a waste of time and resources. I really wouldn’t bother.
They are (were??) and threatened with detention if not done last year. I think you are right not to bother... if they still say he has to do it then I will "man-up" and confront them! They have banned single use plastic bottles (apparently) so plastic covers should be banned too.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

They are asked to cover their books in year 7 for homework, I think it's a way of easing them in to their subjects. They had to glue images of things related to the subjects on to the books then cover with plastic book covers. Later on they weren't asked to cover the books but we reused the covers as it stopped the books from looking tatty.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Deb70 wrote:They are asked to cover their books in year 7 for homework, I think it's a way of easing them in to their subjects. They had to glue images of things related to the subjects on to the books then cover with plastic book covers. Later on they weren't asked to cover the books but we reused the covers as it stopped the books from looking tatty.
Thanks, Deb70. Yes I remember the silly pictures for the first year but it was definitely last year I was told he faced detention if not covered. Heyho, I will see what happens in September and hope this is one more plastic reduction! One step at a time is my motto (though it is difficult as EVERYTHING comes in plastic).
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yes they got them to cover books for Y7 at DD’s school. After that it became folders and no need. The secret to no bubbles in the plastic is apparently a firm hand with a ruler.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

RedVelvet wrote:I remember always covering books with old wallpaper as a child, much more sustainable.
We did this too!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Yes they got them to cover books for Y7 at DD’s school. After that it became folders and no need. The secret to no bubbles in the plastic is apparently a firm hand with a ruler.

Using the film in the direction it was intended for also helps! I use it in any direction to save waste and I have to say there are plenty of bubbles :lol:
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

loobylou wrote:
RedVelvet wrote:I remember always covering books with old wallpaper as a child, much more sustainable.
We did this too!

I’m a child of the 70’s so they were quite funky too!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now