Malala

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Malala

Post by quasimodo »

It was wonderful to read this story.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... birmingham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I always suspected this is where she might end up studying but I always thought the offer would be much lower. Her innocence is captivating.After watching the film of her life on national geographic previously you appreciate she is an icon to many who have little or no hope.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rsity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
FAC51

Re: Malala

Post by FAC51 »

It wouldn't be good P.R., for Malala or Oxford, for her to receive a lower offer.

Although from Oxford's point of view I'm sure her interview was a foregone conclusion. :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I disagree...I think it would do Oxford - or any university - the world of good, from both a PR, a humanitarian, a commone sense (delete as appropriate) point of view, to make her a lower offer - or an unconditional one - any university would be very lucky to have her, not the other way round.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd love to see her PS. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Best achievement...? In amongst the sea of Gold DoEs, Grade 8 pianists etc, would be fantastic to see the Admissions Tutors face when they hit upon the "Nobel Peace Prize"!
KB

Post by KB »

She has been incredibly brave and has enormous strength of character. From her writing and speeches one would reasonably surmise she is very academically able.
Personally I find her achievements inspiring.

However she is still a young woman with much to learn and one hopes much more to offer the world in the future.

From what we have seen of her I don't imagine she would want to be treated differently in class or application process. At a guess she would want to earn her place on academic merit as much as her other great achievements.

This all started from her determination to get an education. My hope would be that the 'fame' doesn't not end up getting in the way of her continued goal of making the most of the education now available to her.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Best achievement...? In amongst the sea of Gold DoEs, Grade 8 pianists etc, would be fantastic to see the Admissions Tutors face when they hit upon the "Nobel Peace Prize"!
:lol: :lol:

I wonder how she will enjoy it. I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

loobylou wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Best achievement...? In amongst the sea of Gold DoEs, Grade 8 pianists etc, would be fantastic to see the Admissions Tutors face when they hit upon the "Nobel Peace Prize"!
:lol: :lol:

I wonder how she will enjoy it. I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).
You may be right I don't know.However two of the boys who went from QM boys to do the course when my daughter was in the sixth form were from a chinese and I believe from a pakistani background.This is a link to a general report on Oxbridge "elitism".You will have to click further to get the pdf.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... fullreport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

loobylou wrote:I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).
Benazir Bhutto studied PPE at Oxford. (She was a contemporary of DH's, which is how I know this random fact.)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I expect I am pre-judging based on the fact that Jeremy Hunt did it too :evil: