Go to navigation
It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Malala
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:59 am 

It was wonderful to read this story.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... birmingham

I always suspected this is where she might end up studying but I always thought the offer would be much lower. Her innocence is captivating.After watching the film of her life on national geographic previously you appreciate she is an icon to many who have little or no hope.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rsity.html

Abraham Lincoln

Post subject: Re: Malala
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 am 

It wouldn't be good P.R., for Malala or Oxford, for her to receive a lower offer.

Although from Oxford's point of view I'm sure her interview was a foregone conclusion. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am 

I disagree...I think it would do Oxford - or any university - the world of good, from both a PR, a humanitarian, a commone sense (delete as appropriate) point of view, to make her a lower offer - or an unconditional one - any university would be very lucky to have her, not the other way round.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:52 am 

I'd love to see her PS. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 am 

Best achievement...? In amongst the sea of Gold DoEs, Grade 8 pianists etc, would be fantastic to see the Admissions Tutors face when they hit upon the "Nobel Peace Prize"!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm 

She has been incredibly brave and has enormous strength of character. From her writing and speeches one would reasonably surmise she is very academically able.
Personally I find her achievements inspiring.

However she is still a young woman with much to learn and one hopes much more to offer the world in the future.

From what we have seen of her I don't imagine she would want to be treated differently in class or application process. At a guess she would want to earn her place on academic merit as much as her other great achievements.

This all started from her determination to get an education. My hope would be that the 'fame' doesn't not end up getting in the way of her continued goal of making the most of the education now available to her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Best achievement...? In amongst the sea of Gold DoEs, Grade 8 pianists etc, would be fantastic to see the Admissions Tutors face when they hit upon the "Nobel Peace Prize"!

:lol: :lol:

I wonder how she will enjoy it. I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 am 

loobylou wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I wonder how she will enjoy it. I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).

You may be right I don't know.However two of the boys who went from QM boys to do the course when my daughter was in the sixth form were from a chinese and I believe from a pakistani background.This is a link to a general report on Oxbridge "elitism".You will have to click further to get the pdf.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... fullreport

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 am 

loobylou wrote:
I wonder what the political spread is among PPE undergrads (get the impression it might be somewhere right of centre and generally mainly WASP males but I could be wrong).

Benazir Bhutto studied PPE at Oxford. (She was a contemporary of DH's, which is how I know this random fact.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 am 

I expect I am pre-judging based on the fact that Jeremy Hunt did it too :evil: